Bump on axolotl tail

Jake888

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jake888
My 10 month old gold albino axolotl, and his wildtype brother have both developed some little bumps on their tails. Only on the tails.The gold albino has two, the largest can be seen in the picture attached. I am not sure why they are getting these bumps. They start off almost as little cones only on their tails and then grow a little bigger and stop. The one in the picture is the size of a small pea. Both axolotls are still growing and extremely healthy otherwise. Doesn't seem to affect them at all. I just wanted to see if anyone knew what the deal was and if there is something i'm doing wrong? I thought it might be a tumor at first but since they both get them I doubt thats it. Maybe a parasite? I love them so much and want to do everything I can for them. Any ideas what this is? I've heard they can just develope skin tags? Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 1,835
They look like small cysts or abscesses. If they don't change in shape/color, they're probably of little concern. If they start getting bigger, or redder, you should consult a vet for removal.

Thank you for the response! Yea they start of small....reach a certain size and then stop growing. So its not like they are getting really big. Thanks again I'm gonna keep an eye on it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back