Nursing Convalescing Plethodon cinereus

BaronS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
George
As the title suggests, I have, in my custody, a salamander that is recovering.

The P. cinereus (redback phase) was found desiccating while overturned. The cause was a traumatic injury resulting in an open wound along the left dorsolateral fold, several days ago.

Major details:

• I had successfully rehydrated this individual, however there hasn't been an interest in live food.
  • Mobility is limited to slowly repositioning in the vivarium. (Which is why I have not re-released into the wild, as it is sub-freezing at night recently and I question his/her readiness to shelter adequately.)
  • The wound has not been treated with antibiotics. I do not have anything free of Pramoxine, and I lack silver sulfadiazine, unfortunately.
  • I have lowered the ambient temperature to reduce the metabolic rate to the lower end of the temperature tolerance of P. cinereus.
Just in case it comes up, P. cinereus is a legally collectable species from the wild, in the state of Ohio (since my pursuit of the proper class of rehabilitation permit is halted right now). The purpose of my post is to determine the following:

Is there anything I can do to stimulate appetite?
Is healing this injury the reason for a lack of appetite, is it a sign of decline, or is it completely ambiguous?

I feel there is something I must be able to do, before I turn this one over to the licensed herp rescue in my area, later today. I can't just rest on my laurels, and I have a hard time not doing everything I possibly can.

Thank you for your time, everyone, in advance.

Hydration is key, so good on you for getting him rehydrated.

You've had him for just a few days? Sometimes it takes them a while to want to eat in captivity, especially after such a traumatic event. What kind of food have you been offering?

P. cinereus are kind of picky. You could try waxworms, which go over well with most caudates. But what they really like are arthropods.I've seen studies that have shown upwards of half their diet is ants and spiders. Of course, that's hard to find this time of year.

Otherwise, you've probably done all of what you can do.

Sometimes it takes them a while to want to eat in captivity, especially after such a traumatic event.
I thought this might be the case, however I could not find any research on fasting tolerances, to ferret out how much longer until the situation is dangerous. I've been quietly panicking to myself from time to time.

You're certainly correct about the seasonal shortages of arthopods being an obstacle. I would have obtained fruit flies and/or waxworms tomorrow, if I hadn't found the herp rescue non-profit. I'm still very much worried about this Plethodontid's future, but I'm a bit relieved that you've confirmed what I had suspected: that it's likely I've done all I can do.

Thanks Kaysie.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back