Another new Axolotl fan!

Alanfromnz123

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi there everyone my name is Alan and im form the great land downunder NZ!! i am very very interested in axolotls and at the moment i have 7 of them and they are all lil cute babies. bimbo is the biggest at about 4cm lols. i am very interested to find out if anyone here as ever had any axos with any tank mates?? as i have 2 bristlenose plecos with mine and it is interesting to watch them they seem to be getting along alright soo far. oh and how early can i tell what gender they are?? many thanks and all help appreciated.

Hi Alan!
*hi-fives NZer*
It is not advisable to keep other species with axolotls, especially plecos.
At there size, the baby probably couldn't eat your pleco (depending on the size of the pleco) and I've been told of plecos sucking the slimy skin of the axolotls.

But welcome to the forum!
What types of axies do you have?

Hi & welcome :)

Sadly mixing axies with some fish especially plecos is not advised at all.

At the size yours are it doesn't take much to damage them & their skin is very sensitive & having read the threads on here & seen pics of a sucker injury it's just not worth the risk! :(

Bonus is now you get to set up another tank for your plecos & they like a heater more than they like a cold axie tank anyway :D

<3 >o_o< <3

Welcome! I'm a fellow NZ'er with a love for Axolotls :D What types do you have?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back