Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please help very poorly Axie

lorraine

Reaction score
Hi I really need some advice, my older axy (5yrs Approx) has suddenly lost all his gills and weight, also the very tip of his tail seems to be broken and pierced through his skin. He has a deformed front leg which has caused him no bother untill now. His leg just kind of hangs there not working properly. My other Axies that are in the same tank are doing great, nice gills and nice full bellies. He also seems to be having trouble swimming and then coming back down to the bottom of the tank. I have been hand feeding him blood worm which he has been taking but refusing his earthworms. I have also got some pellets on order for him and hope to have these by tuesday. There is no sign of fungus on him or any of my other axies. Please if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

scooty16

Reaction score
Hello there.

I think the best thing first to do, would to put him in some cool de-chlorinated water away from the other axolotls just to be on the safe side. This would also reduce the stress of the leg problem, as he will be able to just sit quietly without having to keep trying to swim about and balance. Once you have done this, some pictures of your axolotl would be great for us to see, so we can have a more detailed look.

It is good to see he is accepting some form of food instead of complete refusal. My oldest axolotl went from loving earthworms to refusing them, and he still does today! It is great to hear you have some ordered some pellets too.

What is the temperature of your tank? Can you tell us your tank readings at all? And do you have a picture of your setup and other axolotls? Have you noticed any strange behavior from the other axolotls towards your poorly one? i.e bullying? Have you made any tank changes etc?

Are his gills bent forward? Curl tip of the tail? Any other warning signs you may be able to see once he is in his confined tub?

The most important thing I can suggest right now is just getting him in some clean de-chlorinated water in a tub to keep him upright and calm!

:happy:

lorraine

Reaction score
Hello there.

I think the best thing first to do, would to put him in some cool de-chlorinated water away from the other axolotls just to be on the safe side. This would also reduce the stress of the leg problem, as he will be able to just sit quietly without having to keep trying to swim about and balance. Once you have done this, some pictures of your axolotl would be great for us to see, so we can have a more detailed look.

It is good to see he is accepting some form of food instead of complete refusal. My oldest axolotl went from loving earthworms to refusing them, and he still does today! It is great to hear you have some ordered some pellets too.

What is the temperature of your tank? Can you tell us your tank readings at all? And do you have a picture of your setup and other axolotls? Have you noticed any strange behavior from the other axolotls towards your poorly one? i.e bullying? Have you made any tank changes etc?

Are his gills bent forward? Curl tip of the tail? Any other warning signs you may be able to see once he is in his confined tub?

The most important thing I can suggest right now is just getting him in some clean de-chlorinated water in a tub to keep him upright and calm!

:happy:

I recently did a good water change on tank cleaned the LARGE Stones and caves, the current water temp is 68f 20c .All the other Axies are doing great and no one seems to be acting any differently towards him in the slightest, he has usually kept himself to himself. everyone else has nice round tummies and all very active.As for his Gills they have all gone, just little buds now. Tail isnt curled at all no, just the very tip has broken through the side of his skin. I have a tub I can put him in and keep him separated from the others. i would upload pics but my usb ports are broken and therefore unable to get them onto my laptop.

My set up is as follows, I have Two caves for them to hide in and live plants which they like to swim up into and float in, I have 5 very large stones which are arranged into a cave like shape and a large moss ball, which a couple like to sit on. My filter is an external one with a spray bar and I have an airstone on the go.

Is there any treatments I could get to put in the water to help him at all ?

scooty16

Reaction score
It does seem strange that your axolotl has reacted in this way and the others aren't. Is there any chance he may have hurt himself on something? Although, by the sounds of the tank setup, it all seems relatively safe. Are caves smooth? Any plastic plants in there?

Great to hear you are confining him to a separate tub, I really think this will help with keeping him calm and balanced!

I mean, as far as treatment goes for the water, it really doesn't sound like it needs it, and by putting fancy treatments in, you may harm the other axolotls. Don't quote me on this, but it might not cause any harm by putting an almond leaf in there to keep at bay an infections? But from what you said, he has no fungus etc.

I think the best thing for now, is to keep him clean, and do daily water changes every day, and keep offering food. This way, he has time to heal in a calm environment, and also build his strength up. When your pellets arrive, offer him a couple. The main thing is that he is eating. Is he pooping okay? And do you know the last time he had a motion?

lorraine

Reaction score
there is a small plastic plant that is attached to on of the caves but thats it, apart from his bad leg and the tip of his tail there is no signs of injury at all. He has gone down hill in the matter of a week. I did see him have a poop the other day but to be honest not since, However I have seen poop in the bottom of the tank, but could be any of the axies.

scooty16

Reaction score
Well I am pretty stumped, and I would like to suggest maybe a sudden onset of stress? Apart from confinement, I wouldn't want to suggest other things as it may upset the other axolotls, and if they aren't showing similar signs, then it can't be a group issue, not unless it's the starting of something. Keep an eye on the other axies whilst he is out of the tank just to be safe, i.e feeding habits etc.

Any chance you can get a water reading? What make is your filter and whats it's output?

The good news is that his internal system seems to be working okay. Keep him confined and cool, whilst offering food and monitoring if he poops. Hopefully other forum members will be able to suggest some other ideas. But personally if it was me, I'd remove him from the tank to try and keep him calm, and witness him eating and pooping properly.

lorraine

Reaction score
So am I , water quality etc is something check as soon as anyone doesnt look to good, I just went to get the sticks to test the water and run out, I cant remember what the last readings were Tbh, but as said not long changed water a swirled up the sand etc.

he is now in one of those plastic fish bowls you get for a gold fish with enough water but he wont need to swim up to gulp air at the surface.

the filter is an aquamanta EFX 300, the waterflow is medium and the spraybar pointed towards the back of the tank so as not too create a fast current through the water.

scooty16

Reaction score
It may be worth just checking the water quality be on the safe side when you can. It might be something simple to rectify!

Glad to hear he is now comfortable. Make sure he is in a low lighted place, or has something covering him to keep him dark, cool and calm!

Keep us updated on how he is doing, this process may take a while. My oldest axie suffered a gill injury and I had kept him in a tub for nearly 2 weeks before I was happy to put him back.

The filter sounds ideal, not too fierce. What is your tank size?

Hopefully the questions I have asked will alert others who may be able to chip in too.

FX1C

Reaction score
So am I , water quality etc is something check as soon as anyone doesnt look to good, I just went to get the sticks to test the water and run out, I cant remember what the last readings were Tbh, but as said not long changed water a swirled up the sand etc.

The stick type test kits are not as accurate or reliable - keeping a testing kit is essential to determine water quality, without testing it's just guess work.

I hope the axie makes a full & fast recovery :)

<3 >o_o< <3

scooty16

Reaction score
The stick type test kits are not as accurate or reliable - keeping a testing kit is essential to determine water quality, without testing it's just guess work.

I hope the axie makes a full & fast recovery :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Ahh yes, I forgot to mention about the stick test accuracy! Nikki is right, make sure you get a liquid test kit! :happy:

scooty16

Reaction score
A picture of your axolotl would be good .

Bellaboo, unfortunately Lorraine said her USB ports don't work on her laptop at the moment.:(

Anyway you upload pics on someone else's computer? Or said them via your mobile?

lorraine

Reaction score
managed to take pics on phone then email them to myself lol. they are not the best pics but you can see what a poor state he is in .

Attachments

• WP_000214.jpg
    WP_000214.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 497
  • WP_000217.jpg
    WP_000217.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 347
  • WP_000218.jpg
    WP_000218.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 286
  • WP_000219.jpg
    WP_000219.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 557
  • WP_000220.jpg
    WP_000220.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 280
  • WP_000221.jpg
    WP_000221.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 310

scooty16

Reaction score
Ooh poor baby :( Hopefully we can help you make him better!

I don't know if it is just me, but most owners when they confine their axolotls to a tub, place them in there with nothing. Might be an idea to get rid of the plant and substrate incase it is prone to hoarding any bacteria for the moment. Also, a nice clear tub will allow you to check for any vomit, uneaten food, and poop!

The pellets (if he accepts them) should help fatten him a little as I hear they have a bit of a fat content to them.

scooty16

Reaction score
Oh also, keep offering bloodworm too, and the occasional worm now and again to see if he is interested, as if he could get a bit of worm down him, he would benefit alot from the nutrients right now.

lorraine

Reaction score
didnt think about the sand and plant, just put it in so he doesnt slide around the bottom and he likes to sit in the plants lol. will remove tomorrow if its for the best, poor guy hates being messed with. he has taken two cubes of bloodworm today no worms at all will try him on small worm first thing in morning if no joy the bloodworm untill the pellets arrive.

scooty16

Reaction score
Because you have put him in a plastic container, he shouldn't slip about compared to glass, as plastic actually isn't as smooth as you think it is!

Two cubes is good! I would offer food every day at the moment considering how thin he has become, bless him.

FX1C

Reaction score
Please remove him to a tub just with clean dechlorinated water as soon as possible :eek: that way you can carefully observe the 'ins' & 'outs' eating & pooping closely.

that gravel looks really dangerous is that a substrate you use for axies all the time?

<3 >o_o< <3

lorraine

Reaction score
Please remove him to a tub just with clean dechlorinated water as soon as possible :eek: that way you can carefully observe the 'ins' & 'outs' eating & pooping closely.

that gravel looks really dangerous is that a substrate you use for axies all the time?

<3 >o_o< <3

Hi Nikki

Scooty suggested I left him with nothing, which i will do in the morning as he really hates being messed around with, its not gravel, its sand and they have been on this sand for must be 2.5 - 3years without any problems at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1