Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Advice needed?

Zenna

Reaction score
Kay so i went out friday night, spent the night somewhere, (My axies were fine when i left) And when i got home, i went to go feed them, and i saw that one of my bigger axies >Freckles< Was dead.
I paniced, looked for bubbles (in the same tank) And found her at the top of the water with fungus and really bad looking gills..
I took her out immediately, and gave her a salt bath, she's in the fridge now.. and im not sure what to do anymore :x

I'm going to test the water and probably take pics, i'll post them soon, but Am i at least doing the right thing? Anyone have any more suggestions? I really dont want to lose bubbles too! :(

Dr0gr1n

Reaction score
Fridging and salt baths are the right thing if done correctly. There are some great step by steps on here if you look.

Fungus is usually due to stress from temp, water conditions, or imune system compromised in some other way.

Good luck, hope he pulls through. Fungus is usually not a huge deal, finding the stressor or cause is.

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
As said, you need to find the cause of the problem. I would guess it's likely something to do with your water quality so get it checked right away so you can see if that is the culprit or to rule it out. What substrate are they kept on? You've taken all the appropriate measures for the surviving axolotl and I wish her a speedy recovery :)

Zenna

Reaction score
I checked the water qualitys and temperature. everything was normal, temp was 18degrees celcius, They arent kept on any subtrate, just bare-bottom. and Unfortunatly, Bubbles didnt make it, I'm very confused on what happened, But I tried my best.. R.I.Paradise little buddy <3

EmbryH

Reaction score
I'm so sorry! This sounds devastating. I'm so sorry you've lost your axies.

If nothing else, you should at least try to find out what happened; if the water conditions don't give you any clues, then is it possible to have Bubbles or Freckles examined by a vet?

Perhaps a professional can give you a clearer idea of what happened and how to prevent it from happening again. Honestly, I don't know if vets normally do these post-death examinations but it seems like a good effort to at least find out why your poor axies were taken before their time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1