Some finds from today (Foot Hills Of The San Bernardino Mtns)

grapeape

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Platanos
I recently came down to visit my mother for the holidays at the home I grew up in. I went out to see if i could find any sallies since it had been raining the previous week. Within an hour of searching one evening i found 4 Aneides Lugubris, one Monterey Ensatina, and 1 Batrachoceps Major Major which i did not get a shot of. The pics were taken with my iPhone so the quality isn't too great. This is the first time seeing Aneides around here i thought it was out of their range. (Idk why some of the pics are sideways i couldn't figure out how to fix that).

Attachments

• 9photo.JPG
    9photo.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 567
  • 7photo.JPG
    7photo.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 393
  • 10photo.JPG
    10photo.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 400
  • 6photo.JPG
    6photo.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 418
  • 5photo.JPG
    5photo.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 385
  • 4photo.JPG
    4photo.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 363
  • 1photo.JPG
    1photo.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 389
  • 2photo.JPG
    2photo.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 383
Last edited by a moderator:
1 Batrachoceps Major Major which i did not get a shot of.

How dare you! Nice findings anyways. By the way, you could edit the Picture titles, they still contain locality data.

Cool well now I know for next time. ;)

so cool
so beautiful

You can find A. lugubris in east San Diego Co, and (I think) on into Baja CA. I've found them on rainy nights outside El Cajon, where my daughter and two of my grandchildren now live.

Dunno if most are aware of this, but large A. lugubris can inflict NASTY bites--especially the males. Easily avoided though--just don't grasp them around the groin. If you do, they'll almost certainly turn and bite.

They have strong jaws, wicked teeth, and the bites bleed long enough to make me suspect either their saliva or mucous might have anti-coagulant properties.

Sincerely,

Hajj

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back