I know we say its bad but...

Moobear2010

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know when you go into a let store and see axies on gravel with extreme flow and no hidey holes ect its better to just give info about them , so this i did.. But as i had gone in search for a new addition i gave the owner what for i gave him info pages and took the lonely axie to join mine . Ive put him in my tank and hes very frantic swimmin everywher in and out of hidey holes like he doesnt know whats going on, hes already pooped and eaten tho. Thats a good sign right? X

There's a process for getting action with pet shops- And whist I'm sure your new axie is VERY grateful, the issue comes when people buy the axies, which sadly reinforces the idea that the pet shop is somehow doing right. Part of reporting a problem DOES involve presenting accurate, factual information to the shop so they know what they are doing wrong, but buying any animal whilst they are in a state of neglect only reinforces the pet shop's ignorance as they tend to think "Don't matter, got my dough, NEXT money spinner!!", and leads to a worsening cycle of abuse that can impact on the animals right throughout the shop...
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...discussion/85671-aussies-throw-book-them.html On here I've put together a list of what seems to be the best way to deal with a case of neglect. Whilst the legislation is Australian, I'm certain that Britain would have laws just as stringent (if not more so!) which would require the establishment to act once a case of mistreatment is brought to their attention.

He had 12 axies only 4 days ago so if i hadnt bought it by the time my reports were looked into he would probably be in someone elses tank. I do know what you mean tho but if it wasnt my dosh he was getting would be someone elses and maybe that someone wouldnt know how to keep an axie and take his advice, :(

The problem comes in the fact that you ARE a knowledgeable person, and if YOU, who have identified yourself as such are then buying, the store owner's brain is going to think "oh, they still bought him, obviously he can't be that bad!". Human psychology is weird and frustrating.
At this point, it comes down to reporting. Buying from the petshops with poor animal care only supports their abuse. Your best bet for the other axies is to REPORT it. Follow the chain, get the evidence (have a buddy to work with for your own safety), and fingers crossed the shop will learn from its mistakes!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back