Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

When is it appropriate to assume sex?

Umber

Reaction score
I have 2 leucistic axolotls that were born in late March or yearly April. They were bred by Jenste.

My question is that they are approximately 9 months old and are a nice 8.5 inches, perhaps even larger now but neither have the black toe tips to indicate sexual maturity. When is it safe to say they are one sex or another?

I want to assume that both of mine are females but I am nervous of one turning out to be a late blooming male. I probably feed my two a little too much so they both have a heavier body type now but for the longest time one had a longer shaped face and thinner body so at first I was convinced I might have had a male.

Attachments

• Image11212012203904.jpg
    Image11212012203904.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 2,747
  • Image11212012203953.jpg
    Image11212012203953.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 1,181
  • Image11092012004559.jpg
    Image11092012004559.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 754

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Could you post pics of both of them from the side, without the legs in the way of the cloaca?

Sometimes they do take a while to reach sexual maturity, and toe-tips are hardly a reliable indication. Everyone harps on it, but I think it's mostly bunk. I had one male who waited 18 months!

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more with Kaysie. One of my boys didn't reach sexual maturity until he reached 2 years and by that point, their sex is quite obvious. Scratch that - definitely obvious! I've been able to sex most of my juveniles around the 6-7 month mark but of course it can vary. I would have thought by now if there's no "bulge" they would both be female. I've found female cloacas can look slightly enlarged when they're getting ready or about to go to the toilet. This could be another reason why you've been getting mixed signals.

Dr0gr1n

Reaction score
The males are almost unmistakable unless they are a late bloomer. Females are a bit harder to tell.

I would say to answer your question of when to assume their gender is when you see them depositing a spermatophore or laying eggs. LOL, I know, bit late at that time but the only 100% way I know of.

Joking aside the males are going to be the easiest to pick out but there is always a small chance a female could be a male in hiding. I would think at their size and age that they could be identified at about 98% certainty. Just need some pics from the side with leg forward a bit to show cloaca as was already stated.

Umber

Reaction score
I'll try to get better pics tommorow.

Will females deposit eggs even when a male isnt present? Not that this has happened but just wondering if I should at some point expect it. Should eggs be removed or will they tend to eat them? Dont want foul water due to eggs decomposing.

I am hoping I have 2 females. I do not want inbreeding since axies already have a high percentage of that occurring and poor breeding practices by bad breeders or people wanting to make a quick buck.

Im more familiar with reptiles and fish, not amphibians despite the amount of reading I've done on axolotls. A friend of mine had a Crested Gecko who took over a year to show that it was a male. Generally you can tell their sex by the time they are 5" long but hers was pretty much full grown by the time that the "balls" dropped.

Are my axies overweight? Haha. Should I feed less? Its sometimes hard with reptiles/amphibians to tell if they are over fed.

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
I'll try to get better pics tommorow.

Will females deposit eggs even when a male isnt present? Not that this has happened but just wondering if I should at some point expect it. Should eggs be removed or will they tend to eat them? Dont want foul water due to eggs decomposing.

I am hoping I have 2 females. I do not want inbreeding since axies already have a high percentage of that occurring and poor breeding practices by bad breeders or people wanting to make a quick buck.

Im more familiar with reptiles and fish, not amphibians despite the amount of reading I've done on axolotls. A friend of mine had a Crested Gecko who took over a year to show that it was a male. Generally you can tell their sex by the time they are 5" long but hers was pretty much full grown by the time that the "balls" dropped.

Are my axies overweight? Haha. Should I feed less? Its sometimes hard with reptiles/amphibians to tell if they are over fed.

Females won't lay if there is no male. A female needs to collect a males spermatophore before eggs will be laid. They look quite chunky which I would have thought also suggests they're female. But, the proof is in the "bulge"! How often and how much do you feed them? A good guideline to go by is adults should be fed 3 times a week, several good sized earthworms each (as a staple) but there are certainly many other food options. My sub-adults are fed every other day until they reach around 7 inches, when their feeding is gradually reduced.

Umber

Reaction score
Then I probably do feed too much.

I was feeding almost daily but have recently been doing every other day because they seemed a bit bigger than other members axolotls on here.

I feed a mix of things. I have some pellet food, frozen foods like bloodworms, krill, and brineshrimp, and I try to feed worms at least once a week. One of my guys doesnt seem to like worms that much(red wigglers), I heard that red wigglers might have a bad taste to them. I'd try earthworms but any I find commercially around my area are huge and my guys take a fair amount of time just gobbling a wiggler. :/

Ill have pics later today of my guys to maybe determine sex.

Dr0gr1n

Reaction score
I use night crawlers and just cut them into pieces for the younger juvies. A sharp pair of scissors works great. I find they have no issue eating pieces wider than their heads. You will find that the night crawler pieces also keep your water cleaner than bloodworms, krill, and brine shrimp. Also depending on their size they are probably not getting enough food from the bloodworms, krill, and brine shrimp unless you are feeding a lot of it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1