Help axolotl jumped out of tank!!

dlev878

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Woke up this morning and the baby axolotl jumped out. I have a cover over the tank that only was slightly lifted in the corner due to filter position and he managed to push it open even still. I found him under a table nearly dry :( he looked so sad :(:(:( I popped him back in the tank, got cold water and made the room dark. I am really worried about him, he is floating around - not moving but merely floating. His legs are inverted im guessing he twisted them from the fall and his gills are curled inwards. He is completely unresponsive and is normally very alert and follows me around. What can I do? He is still alive but I am so so so sad this happened :(

How high is your water level from the top? You might want to consider lowering it a couple of inches to avoid this happening again (not that it happens very often). I've known a few people to have free falling axolotls and they're usually fine. He's obviously stressed, which is understandable! But I think you've taken all the necessary measures. Just keep his water cool and clean and keep an eye on him. It's not unusual for axolotls to float or "hang about" at the surface of the water but monitor his progress. Keep an eye on his limbs in order to make sure they return function. I should think in a couple of days he'll be back to his normal, happy self.

Its just so odd because the gap he could push out of was miniscule and I make sure hes secure in there :( Its not a normal kind of floating, more like not moving at all and lying on his side a bit now. I feel so terrible this happened :( thanks for the advice.

Don't beat yourself up about it as these things happen :( Is the gap always there or was the lid open? Is there anyway of securing it more tightly? Such as using a weight or clasp. Or is it a filter lead gap? (that allows the filter cable to run from the unit to the mains)? Maye you could put some mesh around the gap or a sponge to fill it. Like I said just keep an eye on the floating. I've experienced something which sounds similar with one of mine. Luckily it passed without any intervention after a couple of days - Hopefully this will be the case with your baby.

I understand your surprise and panic. My Lumos made a break for freedom a couple of weeks ago. She's no baby but she doesn't seem any the worse for wear now.
Hope your story has a similarly happy ending.

Woke up this morning and the baby axolotl jumped out. I have a cover over the tank that only was slightly lifted in the corner due to filter position and he managed to push it open even still. I found him under a table nearly dry :( he looked so sad :(:(:( I popped him back in the tank, got cold water and made the room dark. I am really worried about him, he is floating around - not moving but merely floating. His legs are inverted im guessing he twisted them from the fall and his gills are curled inwards. He is completely unresponsive and is normally very alert and follows me around. What can I do? He is still alive but I am so so so sad this happened :(

A friend of mine had the same thing happen to her. The breeder she bought her axolotl from told her to put it in the refrigerator. I did end up living.

:( really sorry about your loss..
but dont go beating your self up now, as you can see from the reactions you are
not the first one to have this happen.
lizards are known to get trough the slightest gaps, axolotls are no exception to that rule.
furthermore i think you did everything you could.

its a sad moment, just hope you learn from it.
no gaps in your tank..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back