Axolotls not eating? :(

Jaden

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
~Jaden~
I have two axolotls, Raplh and Horhay. Ralph is a black eyed leucistic, and horhay is a glowing golden. Raplh is aproximately 10-12 months old, and Horhay is 4-8 months old. They have been in a 30 gallon tank with a divider in the middle, until two weeks ago. They were introduced a few times prior to the removal of the divider, and i figured they were big enough to not eat eachother. I also got an underwater filter at this time, replacing my one I had, that was meant for 10 gallon tanks. They were eating fine, up until a week ago. both have stopped eating, totally. There activity has dropped, and they will not touch any food. I will feed them meal worms, about 4-8 each, every two days. I throw in a few pellets every now and then for them aswell. But for a week they havent touched any food. Temperature is always the same, sitting at17-18 degress Celcius. Ammonia levels are at <0.02 ppm, pH is at 6.6, Nitrate is at 5 mg/L, and Nitrite is at <5 mg/L. Water is conditioned aswell. Everything is the exact same, besides the two changes mentioned earlier. I am extremely worried, as this hasnt happened ever since I got them. I got Ralph on July 15th, 2012, and Horhay on August 15th, 2012.

Help will be greatly appreciated, as I am very scared for my axies):

Mealworms are definitely not a good staple diet, their exoskeleton is hard for them to digest and can cause problems, especially being so small, could you post some photos of your setup and axolotls? Earthworms are a much better staple.

Ive been feeding them meal worms for 6 months, and it has not been a problem at all yet. I always have heads cut off, and crush them up a little. My axolotls have never had a problem with them.

tank_setup.jpg
<---- Just taken today
axolotls.jpg
<----- Taken about 4 days ago, because Ralph was hiding today. Ralph is bigger one, Horhay is smaller one.
horhay.jpg
<----- Taken today. This is Horhay

From the looks of them, they're not in trouble yet weight-wise, but have they shown any other signs of distress- gills further forward than usual, tail curled very tightly?
I would suggest trying something other than mealworms- Olivia was right when she said it's not that good- the chintin's YUCKY!!
Earthworms are excellent if you can get your hands on then, though you may have to try a few different types before you find a worm your axies love :)
Next up are bloodworms- they are yummy for axies, and make a good part of a balanced diet.
Blackworms are quite expensive, but are the equivalent of axolotl chocolate. If you have an axie who hasn't eaten in more than 10 days, these are a good food to get them back eating. To feed them, a paint pippette from the art shop is perfect- you suck them up and squirt them right in front of the axie's nose.
There are high-quality pellets such as Hikari Carnivorous sinking pellets- these are quite nutritionally balanced, and work well at times when other foods may not be practical (Such as if you have someone axie sitting).
Then there are live foods such as freshwater shrimp (cherry and ghost especially), and small fish (guppies and cloud minnows are the better species), which can benefit your tank by providing a good cleaning crew before they get too close to a hungry axie :p With them, it's important to have a secondary colony so that if you get a bored axie who goes on a rampage, you have a backup supply. Also if you have an emergency where you don't have time to line up someone to feed your beloved pets, live tank mates give you a bit of leeway before you run into serious trouble.

Hopefully these will give you some ideas on how to enrich your axies' diets, and that there aren't more issues underlying!

I notice that you have recently changed your filter and your readings for ammonia and nitrite are not quite at 0? Perhaps you have had a little ammonia spike? Maybe water change a little more often for the next month just to be sure.

Taking notes on the foods for my own axies;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

The lowest number on my ammonia tester I have is <0.02 ppm, which it says is "safe". also thanks for tips on the food, I will maybe try something else.

Try it, plus there's no crushing or killing needed usually. Also the chitin can build up and cause problems later on. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back