Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Funny looking gills?

hayleymason

Reaction score
Hey my female axi has had odd looking gills for a long time. She seems absolutely fine and has just laid eggs so she must be happy but just wondered why theyre like this?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355866772505.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355866772505.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,662

Morrison

Reaction score
Wow, that looks odd. I wonder what those red things are. Veins?

hayleymason

Reaction score
Im not sure! She seems fine though and she is about 2 years old so cant be too damaging

scooty16

Reaction score
My male axolotl has those as well. I never really got answer for what they are, all I know is that he never used to have them, and since his injury on the funny bit, he has one gill stalk that isn't fluffy anymore. :confused:

Morrison

Reaction score
Yeah I have an axie (the one on my avatar) with weird gills. One gill stalk is completely hairless and when he flicks his gills that thing bounces back like a rubber stick. The other gills are short and with a little bit of 'hair'. On the left side he has two of those small gills as well and one hairy and longer one.
He seems fine. He used to be a pretty axolotl with fluffy gills. Now he's ugly and has a lip zit as well.

As long as they're acting fine everything seems okay :)

hayleymason

Reaction score
Not sure at the mo. Shes been like that since i got her and my waters always been fine so thinking it may be from the pet shop. She seems happy now though no signs of stress, still eating and has just laid a batch of eggs :)

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
I would have thought it's something to do with trauma or damage to the area. Axolotls have a habit of growing things back a little ..."odd"! Having said that, I have seen quite a few post's regarding similar issues and it just doesn't add up. As said check your water quality just to be sure but I have some doubts about the problems being related. Thus far if she seems healthy and is eating well it may be worth monitoring the progress/development of the gills (if there is any!).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1