Question: New to axolotls

demiegab

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
DemieGab
Last Tues I receive 11 newly hatched axolotls. I got them just hours after hatching nd have basically no clue why these little ones need. At the moment they all are in a 1 gallon tank. A I have been feeding them brine shrimp every two days and cleaning their tank every day. I have been using un chlorinated water. They seem to be doing great but I don't know if there is anything else that would help these cute little ones thrive. Do they need a heater or filter(sine I clean the tank daily) is there anything else I need to do?

I think little babies like yours need to be feed twice a day.
They need a 100% water change after feeding
They don't need a heater at all.
And your right, at this stage they don't need a filter cause of the daily water changes

I've never raised babies before, so maybe someone with more experience can help
:happy:

Don't put a heater in with any axolotl, ever. You should be feeding daily and a filter isn't necessary at that age, most are kept in small containers and they will also become stuck in the intake. What temp are they at now? I think the best temperature for axies that age is about 19-20 degrees but I'm sure others will have different opinions. It would probably be worth it to have a look through some of the breeding info pages and the raising of larvae.

Their water is about 65 that is 6hours after the water change.

So far, so good from the sounds of it! The trick is going to be watching their growth, upping their food intake, and soon transitioning onto other foods such as live blackworms when they're big enough to eat them(Which will mean you can pull back the water changes a bit :p) Got some pics of your babies?

Thanks so much to all of u for the help. I'll get a pic up soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back