What's wrong with my axie :(

lucykate

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Over the past few days I've noticed my axie has been running around the tank alot, as well as swimming up to the surface and gulping for air more than usual. He always stays on the surface after hes gulped some air and usually swims around up the top of the tank for a while or just floats there.. he has been eating but not as eagerly as he usually does. Im sure the water is fine, Ive done a 50% water change this morning but he still doesnt seem normal. Any ideas?

Have you tested the water for Ammonia & NitrAtes? What is the tank temperature? Have you got a filter in the tank, is there a lot of flow? Looking at the gills & tail are they curled forward?

Take a picture (of axie & whole tank)
& post it on here as it may show something helpful :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Sounds like stress behavior, axolotls are not the most active of creatures, excessive activity can be a sign of poor water quality or too high a temperature.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back