Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please translate for my poor tired little brain!

CJ1981

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been buying my earthworms from my local bait shop, I would ask the guy behind the counter for '30 smallish earthworms' and get given a takeaway container containing 30 smallish earthworms (oddly enough).

The bait shop has now changed hands (grr :mad: I don't like change), when I asked for my usual order I was met with 'what do you mean by earthworm?' I said 'oh just regular earthworms' which prompted the new guy to list several latin sounding names before launching into a very long winded explanation that depending on where you are from different worms are considered to be regular earth worms :confused:.

I'm on nights this month which means that all higher brain processes are beyond me, I eat, sleep and try not to kill my patients or fellow road users. I have looked on this forum and confused myself even further with different species of worms and their technical and colloquial names plus the fact that some worms aren't really worms at all :eek:.

Please can someone tell me what in the UK is meant by the term earthworm? Is it Lob worm, Dendro wotsits, hook worms? My poor little brain is about to explode :(

Olivia97

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the daedrobeana worms are considered "earthworms" I wouldn't worry about their scientific names, they would all be rather similar in nutritional content. Lob worms are really big which in other countries would be "night crawlers"

Morrison

Reaction score
Yes, the local worm selling dude told me that Dendrobenas are also known as simple earthworms.

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
And then there's Red wrigglers, also known as brandling worms, grey worms, RED NOSE WORMS?!! The list goes on. As said there isn't much difference between the lot, bar colour if you want to be fussy. Just say, "is it long, juicy and lives in dirt? I'll take it."

FX1C

Reaction score
I wish you had a chain hardware store there like we have Bunnings here in Australia - I bought 500 huge juicy worms for $25 today & I think my axies are going to pop 0.0 I 'may' have rinsed a few too many & eagerly fed them to my two starving axie babies :eek: lol

<3 >o_o< <3

Olivia97

Reaction score
I wish you had a chain hardware store there like we have Bunnings here in Australia - I bought 500 huge juicy worms for $25 today & I think my axies are going to pop 0.0 I 'may' have rinsed a few too many & eagerly fed them to my two starving axie babies :eek: lol

<3 >o_o< <3

Bunnings is a savior

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
There's only one place local to me that sells earthworms and it takes me an hour to get there. I have to do the trip fortnightly. I wonder why something so common is so hard to get hold of in the pet trade over here. Plenty of species eat them.

FX1C

Reaction score
I wish I'd have known about bunnings worm stashes earlier :-/
I've been paying $7.50 for a small round chinese takeaway container of dirt with maybe 15 large worms & a heap of tiny wrigglers - so finding 500 fat juicy worms is like utopia :) I think both of mine have belly aches from the extra large worms & I may have dropped in an extra one or 2 in for nomming :D

Enthusiastic axie mama with
Italian accent "You're too skinny - make me happy :) eat more worms - look at you, you're fading away! Eat more, make me happy!" :eek: lol

<3 >o_o< <3

Jumbuck

Reaction score
There's only one place local to me that sells earthworms and it takes me an hour to get there. I have to do the trip fortnightly. I wonder why something so common is so hard to get hold of in the pet trade over here. Plenty of species eat them.

If your babies eat that many, perhaps you could think about worm farms

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1