Question: Just looking for some opinions on eggs

hayleymason

Reaction score
Country
England
Hey guys

My eggs look due to hatch any day.. i was thinking of maybe moving them into a cleaner plastic container with the tank water (id rather keep them in current water than change it so not to disturb them too much) but was just wondering the best way to remove eggs from the plants without killing them off? Or should i leave them in the tank?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356090792743.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356090792743.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,765
Can you take the plants out and put them in another tank or container? Perhaps with water taken from the tank mixed with some clean? I don't think you would be able to take the eggs off the plants.

If you leave them you wont be able to catch the babies and I think the adults would eat them all.

Fingers crossed you get a good hatch. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah i heared thyre hard to catch. I have a big storage container, a spare tank my adults are currently in and plenty of tupperware :) was thinking of moving axolotls into storage tub and eggs into spare tank then once hatched seperating as many as possible into the tupperware tubs. Too many options ! :) just want my babies to hatch!

I have just one in an ice cream tub and catching that is traumatic enough!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

You can pull the eggs off the plants carefully. They have a couple layers of their slime - cutting through the outside layer that is attached to the plants will not harm anything. It takes a while, but removing them by hand isn't particularly difficult. I just scoop them off plants with three fingers. The quickest solution is just to remove the plants until they hatch, but if you don't want to move them then just peel the eggs off. The outermost layer that is the adhesive to the plants is easily gotten through, and will do no harm to the eggs. The eggs are pretty tough, though. I doubt you'll do any damage unless you try.

You could also just remove the parents, but I'd imagine your tank is a bit too large to want to do that.

Thanks for the advice think i will just move the plants. The parents are seperate and in a smaller tank, but gonna swap as i have only got one pump (in big tank) and the parents are making a right mess in the small one! Must be due to hatch any day looking at the pics?

They do look close to hatching. I thought it was a great photo!

I have removed axolotl eggs from plants a few times but have never tried with such advanced eggs, you could be in danger of hatching them early. The plan to remove the plants they are on to a seperate tankis probably the best option.

I have some well developed ones on the floor too whats the easiest way to move those guys?

I have some well developed ones on the floor too whats the easiest way to move those guys?

Turkey baster with a large opening, be gentle you can pop them out of the egg if you are rough.

Dont have a turkey baster handy, could pick them up gently and do it that way?

Dont have a turkey baster handy, could pick them up gently and do it that way?

They are hard to pick up by hand, try swishing them into a jug or try a net but be careful with the net you dont want to mess about with them too much. Get down to poundland for some turkey basters , they are an invaluable tool and you will find them excellent for removing waste from the baby tanks and feeding.

Yeah ive read alot of people rely on turkey basters here. Deffo an investment i will make. Ive moved the eggs on the plants. Theres not many on the floor, will just see if they hatch or not and if so will move them :) how long do they feed on live food?

So two eggs have hatched! Theyre sooo tiny ! How long until i need to move them??

So two eggs have hatched! Theyre sooo tiny ! How long until i need to move them??

Move them? If you are planning on a separate larval tank to the hatching tank they will need to be moved within 48hours, though preferably 24hours. They will be using their egg sacks for a day or two before they need feeding. Your previous question about live food, obviously you mean small live food like daphnia and baby brine shrimp as axolotls do well on live food all their lives. It is generally quoted that you need to wait till they have their back legs before they take non moving frozen foods, as before that they lack a sense of smell and are sight feeders so could potentially starve if fed frozen foods too early or frozen food which is too large for them to eat. This is not a hard and fast rule though, some will eat frozen foods early particularly if you can keep it moving with light aeration, I dropped some small frozen bloodworm (different brands have different sized worm) into a tank of fifty small axolotls without back legs it was all gone this morning. Best to keep them on small live food till they have their back legs though.

Last edited:
Ok thank you i am moving them tonight after work :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back