Saw this at a local Petstore, thought you'd enjoy

Lorenmws

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please read the first line of the Paragraph:eek:
8296162642_38a1ee81e5_b.jpg

I mean, they are just as easy as a Betta... Only because bettas actually require a lot more than a bowl and a once every six months water change. I wouldn't say they're more interactive though, since my bettas take food from my hand and come up to the front of the tank just like axolotls may do.

But I doubt they care for their bettas right, so I don't trust them on axolotls either!

I mean, they are just as easy as a Betta... Only because bettas actually require a lot more than a bowl and a once every six months water change. I wouldn't say they're more interactive though, since my bettas take food from my hand and come up to the front of the tank just like axolotls may do.

But I doubt they care for their bettas right, so I don't trust them on axolotls either!
I totally understand what your saying but my problem is do you think it's appropriate to steer someone towards an axolotl purchase who originally wanted a betta? Not like they have similar housing requirements and a betta isn't gonna grow to be a foot long.

I think people are more likely to spend more to save an axolotl than a fish, since axolotls do seem to incite the "it's so cute" reaction in people. Though only a smidgen more. They don't have similar requirements, but the cost of a large enough tank, quality food, and heater is relatively similar to the cost of just a bigger tank for an axolotl. I honestly think I spend more housing tropical fish than axolotls.

I don't think it's an issue to steer anyone to a different kind of pet, and one that is just as resilient to bad treatment as bettas are. The thing I have a problem with is not giving the right information in the first place about either creature. The type of person who usually comes in for a betta has absolutely no knowledge of fish, and wants to put it in a 20oz tiny bowl. It's more the issue of education either way. Who cares what they steer people towards as long as they give the right care information for both animals? Usually the dollar sign on what it takes to actually care for an animal shies people away.

But I see right below that sign what I assume to be betta bowls, in which case I don't think that store should be allowed to sell animals at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back