Ghost Shrimp!?

hannahll

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Hannah
IMAG0506_zps8453474e.jpg

Recently, i got about a dozen ghost shrimp and i've found that not only do they bring a lot of life to my tank, but my axolotls may have eaten a few :)

I like the idea of having ghost shrimp running around from now on, any thoughts?

Well, I buy them from time to tome just as a treat for my lotls and usually 20 shrimps and 3 lotls plus one night equals three fat lotls in the morning.

I love buying ghost shrimp for my axolotls! They make for a nice treat for the axies and they can clean up the tank a little bit. They eat any sort of extra food and really anything they can get their claws on. I have also had ghost shrimp last for several weeks since there are about a thousand places to hide in my tank.

I get mine from my LFS 6/$1. You can also use red cherry shrimp which are supposed to be much easier to breed and may be more readily available. Try e-bay, there usually a bunch on there.

I love the extra movement ghost shrimp and small feeder fish give to a tank. I usually buy about 30 every couple months. They have lots of places to hide so they last a while in my tank. I think its good enrichment for the axies to be able to hunt some food down every once and a while too.

I bought amano shrimp but the shrimp are too smart for the axies!!! They have been in the tank for almost 3 weeks and still the same number lol

There is a risk to using shop bought feeders, you guys need to be aware of this, do some research on the topic and make your own minds up. I breed red cherry shrimp as feeders for axolotls and newts, they are readily eaten , provide a good clean up crew and a nicely planted shrimp tank is a joy to see and easy to maintain. If you decide to get shrimp to breed as feeders make sure you do your research , some species need brackish water to reproduce.

I'm sorry if this is a very amateurish question but if you were to buy some shrimp for the lotls and they last awhile, would you still feed the axies pellets everyday per feeding schedule? Cause I like this idea a lot more than the idea of keeping blood worms ^.^;

I'm sorry if this is a very amateurish question but if you were to buy some shrimp for the lotls and they last awhile, would you still feed the axies pellets everyday per feeding schedule? Cause I like this idea a lot more than the idea of keeping blood worms ^.^;

The volume of shrimp you will need to feed an adult axolotl would be quite high, they are a "treat" and used as part of a mixed diet which should really be dominated by earthworms .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back