Finally got an aquarium fan!

emily74

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Emily74
I have been having a horrible time keeping the water in our tank at a reasonable temp. In the summer, even with the air on and rotating frozen water bottles, I was having trouble getting it down below 72. Now in the winter, it's been higher and even harder to lower. I finally got an aquarium fan (Amazon.com: AQUATEK ChillMaster Aquarium Cooling Fan 2 Fan Model (AQT-F02): Pet Supplies) and it has been the best thing I've purchased for them! The temp was 74 when I started the fan up, and within about an hour or so, it had dropped to 66! I was shocked! About 4-6 liters of water evaporate a day, which shocked me but as long as the water is at a comfortable level I am happy to add more each day. I could tell a difference in their look at behaviour by the next day - frillys were all relaxed, they became more active and also started to eat better. If anyone is looking for a cheaper fan, this one has been very good to me so far.

Interesting to see the effect that temperature can have. We are quite cool over here but it may be a problem in the summer (for a week or two in May :p )

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Is it very noisy? So how does it work? Is it basically just a regular fan that sits over the tank? Would you post a pic so I can see how it sits on your tank please?

I'm on the verge of investing in a chiller, but they are so damned expensive!!!

Hi! Sorry this is so late, I just figured out how to search for my previous posts!! The fan is relatively quiet, just has a very faint hum. It's maybe... 8 inches wide. There are two clips to attach it to the tank however the clips aren't made to fit on an aquarium with a lip around the edge :( so I have a wire top like what you'd have on a reptile tank, and just have the fan sitting flat on that. I don't have any pictures of that specifically but I will take one and post it

I've been looking at these fans. Glad it's worked well for you. My tank is at 20c, which isn't too bad but my axolotl is so active. He just never stops, I'm feeding him everyday to try keep up with him. Worried about it going any higher so I think I'll buy a fan. Desk fans don't seem to work very well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back