Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamander advice needed ASAP please

Kathryn93

Reaction score
Hi thanks in advance for taking time to read my question.

About an hour ago i was feeding my tiger sal bam and I tweezer feed him as he can be dopey like eating mud I I leave food in or following food under water dish and getting stuck! So anyway I tweezer feed him I have plastic ones not metal and I went to feed him being called bam Ofcourse he struck it! Only I found him hanging of of the tweezers with about 5cm if not more of the tweezers inside him so I tried shaking him of and spraying him however he would not budge at that time I was so scared he was stuck I didn't know what to do I had to keep one hand keeping the tweezers in or it would hurt him and the other trying ways to get him of ! And then he tried going up the tweezers even more like snakes eat and then finally he jumped off! It was so scary but now I'm worried for him . Has anyone had this happen and suggestions for what I should do if he does it again.

He is a crazy sal he will bite the air when I go to look at him or try to attack my hand when cleaning his water dish! Just walked in ND found him fully submerged in his water it was really strange he was rubbing his head on bottom of water bowl I'm guessing to shed. Any advice or comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

Kathryn93

Reaction score
Thanks glad that's normal tiger behaviour.
I have a new camera and was just wondering if the strong flash is bad for amphibs? I don't use it on my dog as he has epilepsy however I was unsure if the flash was ok. Took a couple so far then stopped just incase it was bad, he doesn't seem to mind just jumped mouth open at the camera when I open his tank!

Bree

Reaction score
i have 6 tiger sals and Sumi my monster one does the same then but they usually let go and arent so vicious your little guy sound adorable though i love tiger salamanders they amazing personalities:D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Flash isn't that good for any animal. Use bright, indirect light for the best photos.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1