Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Heyy, A Few Questions :)

AlbinoAxie

Reaction score
Heyy, i am a 15yo female and i have just recieved a new axie for christmas. he is an albino and his name is Zaxon.

Just a few questions:

1. should an axie tank be competely water?
2. can they grow lungs??
3. how often should i change water and filter sponge?
4. can picking Zaxon up hurt him?

thanks guys :tongue::happy:

esn

Reaction score
Hello,

Axolotl.org will be able to answer all of your questions. You ought to look at all of the guides on their to assure that you are caring for your new axolotl properly.

Yes, axolotls are completely aquatic. They already have lungs, though rudimentary. Water changes depends on tank size and if it's cycled or not, but generally 10% a week on a well established tank. You should not touch axolotls with your hands at all, as they have delicate skin and slime coat which can be harmed by handling and the oils on your skin.

FX1C

Reaction score
You've been given a wonderful present & it's a very special creature who will benefit from you spending a little while reading all about what will keep your axie happy & healthy :) you've found the best place - these forums are full of answers to all the questions you may have.

Sadly these guys are often sold from pet shops that do not provide the correct advice to care for them properly :(

A few things to know...

• NO gravel ZERO NONE NADA!
- just use either fine river sand
(not beach!) well washed
or just a plain bare bottom tank
which is easy to keep clean.

• NO HEATER - axolotls like cool water

• Keep an eye on the water health...
Testing the water regularly is essential as ammonia is very toxic to axies & can be kept controlled by regular water changes 20%-50% depending on stage of tank cycle, & keeping on top of removing uneaten food & poop from the tank.. - you'll read a lot about tank cycles, it seems confusing but once your tank has aged & the good bacteria grows inside the filter & tank it helps control the ammonia levels.

• Feeding live earthworms is the ideal diet but you can get live bloodworms & pellets from fish shops just made for axies , avoid beef heart / use only as a treat :) there's lots of posts on food here.

Some questions for you to help make sure your new addition has a great start.

• what size tank have you got?

• has it got gravel or sand, plants & hides?

• how long has it been running?
Is it a tank you've already got fish in?
Axies are best in a tank alone - sharing with fish can cause fish to attack gills & cause stress.

• what filter do you have?
Axies don't like strong flowing water.

• air stone?
They like bubbles

Post some pics of your new addition & your tank so we can give any input :)

Don't hesitate to ask any questions as they arise, don't wait to seek help - after all these guys are sensitive & easy to care for but things do go wrong.

:D Merry Christmas :D

PS: sorry for the long reply

<3 >o_o< <3

AlbinoAxie

Reaction score
Nikki,

-my tank is a 30L tank.
-the guy at the petshop gave mum a bag of pebbles to put on the bottom. it also has a ceramic log in the center
-the tank started running the day before i got Zaxon.
-its a new tank and the first thing i did was fill it up, test ph and add conditioner.
-the filter is one of the ones that act like a waterfall and its constantly pouring in bubbles and air.

i have no idea how old he is and he hasnt eaten in 5 days "/

esn

Reaction score
Take out the pebbles, and probably find some filter pad to stuff up into the waterfall the ease off on the flow. Fast moving water will stress your axolotl out. How large is the axolotl? Again, make sure to read the guides that we have. It will reduce the repetition of information.

AlbinoAxie

Reaction score
ok, il take them out when i can. Zaxon loves the waterfall but, he always plays in its bubbles? ill do what u said and hope for the best. he is 21 cm long?

FX1C

Reaction score
Moving house can be stressful so the axie may take a few days to settle in at 21cm he's not going to starve without food for a few days ;)

The testing kits you should have are for
Ph / Ammonia / NitrIte / NitrAte the tank is new & uncycled so you should be changing 20-30% daily & testing every second day to double check the levels of ammonia & nitrate.

Get the pebbles out as a matter of urgency & head to bunnings for a bag of Playsand 20kg / $7 & wash it super well - that's the best tank substrate.

You'll also want to invest in a turkey baster - great for pooper scooping & also feeding (that doesn't sound hygienic at all o_O)

An accurate thermometer is essential as you don't want the water temp getting too hot - 18degC is best make sure it's kept well under 25degC & if you see it get warmer than that then you can pop your axie in a Tupperware container with dechlorinated water (always handy to have a couple of lidded buckets with aged dechlorinated water - for water changes) but read up about fridging before you do it - here in Aus it's hard to keep the temp down.

Don't be overwhelmed - once it's all sorted you & your axie can both chill out relax & enjoy each others company :D

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1