Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pachytriton gulping air

mwebber

Reaction score
I have just acquired 2 paddletail newts which I haven't kept before and am still learning their behaviour, I have kept a few amphib species and Notos before but nothing fully aquatic. The newt which I think is a male (due to the presence of white spot on the tail) keeps resting upon some cabomba on the top of the water and gulping air occasionally, is this normal behaviour or is there something wrong? I have noticed aggression between the male and female so need to get a bigger tank for them (currently in a 30l will aim for a 60l), the only thing I could think of would be water temp which may affect behaviour but I think it is only around 18 degrees in the tank??
Please advise, cheers :)

xxianxx

Reaction score
I have just acquired 2 paddletail newts which I haven't kept before and am still learning their behaviour, I have kept a few amphib species and Notos before but nothing fully aquatic. The newt which I think is a male (due to the presence of white spot on the tail) keeps resting upon some cabomba on the top of the water and gulping air occasionally, is this normal behaviour or is there something wrong? I have noticed aggression between the male and female so need to get a bigger tank for them (currently in a 30l will aim for a 60l), the only thing I could think of would be water temp which may affect behaviour but I think it is only around 18 degrees in the tank??
Please advise, cheers :)

I have no experience of this species but have been researching them , I spoke to an experienced keeper and he said that they key to stopping these guys killling each other is hiding spaces, the bottom of his tank is full of hides with plenty of plants. Cant help with the other issues.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Gulping air is normal as they have lungs and they are functional, but as a species that inhabits cold streams, which are very rich in dissolved oxygen, they should come up to gulp air less frequently than other species. If it´s happening a lot, i would assume that the levels of dissolved oxygen are very low, possibly because of inadequate husbandry (could be other causes).
It might also be a sign of some kind of problem with cutaneous respiration, which would force the animal to gulp air regularly.
Keep a very close eye on the aggression, they can tear each other apart. If necessary, be prepared to separate them into their own tanks.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think even a 60l tank is going to be big enough for 2 of these guys. They're highly aggressive, and need a lot of territory.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!