Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Two Heads are Better than One

Jake

Reaction score
Go ahead, tell me what a monster I am for not killing them!

Attachments

• IMG_7139.jpg
    IMG_7139.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,378

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Nah...curious though to see how this developes. How advanced is this / And is this a one off ?

Last edited:

esn

Reaction score
I'm really interested in seeing if this survives hatching. If it survives longer as a juvenile and to adulthood, I wonder if both heads will be fully functional, and also how the legs develop. The only two headed axolotl I've heard about have been the ones that they tested on in a laboratory by relocating a head onto another axolotl.

Neil C

Reaction score
How bizarre! Looks like it's got two tails as well. I'd be surprised if it lives long but keep us updated anyway. Good luck.

Regards Neil

FX1C

Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing what becomes of this guy too..

Siamese twin axolotls

<3 >o_o< <3

esn

Reaction score
I have a feeling that if it hatches out it may end up being a spinner. I wish it luck. If it can swim and eat, I'd keep it just to track its progress over time as it develops.

SamuelK

Reaction score
That is so interesting! I can't wait to see updates on how it is developing. Would be great to track its progress and hopefully it lives a full life.

kuphie

Reaction score
There have been many cases of turtles and snakes making it to adulthood w/ two heads. Now I'm anxious to see how an axolotl will do.

AxieMama

Reaction score
You naughty naughty boy! Lol! That's freakin awesome...can't wait to see how things turn out...be sure to keep us posted :D

Jake

Reaction score
Julia- it looks to be about a week or so from hatching (if it does). This is the first time I've seen this in axolotls, I get a lot of multiple embryos sharing one membrane, but never sharing a yolk sac :p

Here is a pic of the other side.

Attachments

• IMG_7141.jpg
    IMG_7141.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,733

Jake

Reaction score
I will find you if you kill it ;)

Well, some ignorant people who are experts on axolotls (without even keeping them) think the fact that this is leucistic means it's deformed. Imagine what those very ignorant people would say if they saw conjoined twins. ;)

Methodzki

Reaction score
Well, some ignorant people who are experts on axolotls (without even keeping them) think the fact that this is leucistic means it's deformed. Imagine what those very ignorant people would say if they saw conjoined twins. ;)

And I do not care... Pure curiosity drives me... Simple as... See how it develops, If the fella struggle or will be in discomfort... Vodka... But we need to see what will happen !!!

Jake

Reaction score
And I do not care... Pure curiosity drives me... Simple as... See how it develops, If the fella struggle or will be in discomfort... Vodka... But we need to see what will happen !!!
I don't think getting it drunk will solve it's problems, it looks like it may be difficult for it to get around sober! ;-)

Vahrun

Reaction score
Posting in this thread so I can keep up with it as well! I really hope it hatches and survives! How could not love twin/conjoined axies smiling at you? The cuteness >o<

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1