Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Urgent

AlbinoAxie

Reaction score
my axie is floating and not doing anything at all. when i try to see if he is alive he just sinks then floats again. he has gone pink (he is a albino) and his skin looks like its peeling. please help. only had him for a week :,,,(

FX1C

Reaction score
Pop him in a tuppaware tub of dechlorinated water & wrap the Tupperware in a towel - pop it into the fridge.

Once fridged you can find out what is stressing him.

Please post a pic of your tank set up.
Have you taken out the gravel?
What's the water temp?
Have you tested for ammonia today?

<3 >o_o< <3

esn

Reaction score
Peeling skin sounds like a water quality issue. You absolutely must be testing your water and keeping it clean, especially since you just set up the tank. The ammonia goes up because you added an animal producing waste to a system that was not yet established. You need to read the guides on cycling, as you likely should have been changing the water nearly every day.

I don't know if I would recommend fridging. This is a water quality issue. He needs clean, cold water, but Fridging isn't going to be what makes the difference here. I think that Fridging will do more harm than good in this case, but wait for a more educated opinion.

Get that axolotl in a tub of clean dechlorinated water and get a test kit. If he can survive this, you absolutely must do your research on the nitrogen cycle and how to ensure that your axolotl stays healthy.

AlbinoAxie

Reaction score
i have placed zaxon in a bucket with rain water and ice. temp in there is like 16 degrees c and pH is 6.5. ok. from what i have gathered from your replies:

1. i have removed the gravel and slowed the filter down.
2. he has improved dramastically from being in the cold water but i cant keep my tank that temp (any suggestions)
3. i will leave him in the bucket untill i clean and sanitize the tank (which im in the process of doing)
4. how do you test for ammonia? i wasnt given a test kit?

last but not least he still isnt eating. will he die?

esn

Reaction score
You need to be doing water changes, not full cleans. A full clean will never get your tank cycled. Do not do that. Do a water change, which is a partial removal of water and replacement with clean water.

You need to buy the proper testing materials. A test kit will be available at any pet store that sells fish. This is a must have.

You need a thermometer strip for your tank. If you cannot keep your tank under 70 degrees, you should not have an axolotl. Clip on fans are easy to get, and you can face them over the tank water, which will cool it down.

He isn't eating because of moving stress, temperature changes, and bad water quality. Worry about eating after you've fixed all of your issues.

I keep recommending guides that are easily available on this site. You will be able to fix your issues if you take the time to actually read them. I have already recommended the guide for cycling your tank, and this site has many resources on that.

FX1C

Reaction score
i have placed zaxon in a bucket with rain water and ice. temp in there is like 16 degrees c and pH is 6.5. ok. from what i have gathered from your replies:

1. i have removed the gravel and slowed the filter down.
2. he has improved dramastically from being in the cold water but i cant keep my tank that temp (any suggestions)
3. i will leave him in the bucket untill i clean and sanitize the tank (which im in the process of doing)
4. how do you test for ammonia? i wasnt given a test kit?

last but not least he still isnt eating. will he die?

Just use dechlorinated tap water not rain water (the catchment for rain water is easily contaminated - even in Tamworth)

adding ice to the tank is not recommended ( what is the source if the ice? Was it tap water?)

Ammonia test kits are available at pet shops & sadly should've been a part of your gift for Xmas! It's appalling that people buy aquarium animals as gifts without understanding every requirement!

Don't clean the tank - the idea is to get good bacteria building up on all the surfaces... Just doing water changes & removing waste products & left over food is good maintenance.

Is your axie in a bucket in the fridge? Just leaving it in an iced bucket will mean the temperature will fluctuate greatly & this is not ideal! As long as your tank is under 25degC then you can aim a fan over the water surface & drop temp by a few degrees - freezing 2L drink bottles & having a few to rotate once they're half defrosted change for a fully frozen one - they float on the top of the tank & are good to drop temp substantially.

Read other topics on here & they'll help you to get a better understanding.

You're axie can go for a while with no food - so don't panic! :)

Can you post a pic of axie & tank please?

<3 >o_o< <3

AlbinoAxie

Reaction score
i had to do a full change because there was still some pebbles and stuff (un eaten food) in the bottom of the tank.

the tank doesnt go below 30degrees c here and i always put ice in so it cools it down but the tank is not big enough to float a 2L bottle.

the rain water has a lower pH (6.0-6.5) and stays alot cooler. tamworth tap water has chlorine and other nasty stuff that isnt even good for humans.

i will post a pic as soon as i can (hopefull today) my connector cord isnt working.

can a light affect him in anyway?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If your tank isn't big enough to even put a 2l bottle in, it's not big enough for an axolotl.

Rainwater isn't good for axolotls as it doesn't contain any dissolved minerals. It must be hardened with salts.

Light should be kept as minimal as possible.

AlbinoAxie

Reaction score
well i could put a bottle in but what i meant was it wouldnt fit because of the water level and the lid.

what kind of salts?

ok thanks :)

xxianxx

Reaction score
i had to do a full change because there was still some pebbles and stuff (un eaten food) in the bottom of the tank.

the tank doesnt go below 30degrees c here and i always put ice in so it cools it down but the tank is not big enough to float a 2L bottle.

the rain water has a lower pH (6.0-6.5) and stays alot cooler. tamworth tap water has chlorine and other nasty stuff that isnt even good for humans.

i will post a pic as soon as i can (hopefull today) my connector cord isnt working.

can a light affect him in anyway?

30c will kill your axolotl fast, adding ice to a tank drops the temp but axolotls dont like temp fluctuations either. If you can not find a reliable way to cool you tank you need to reconsider axolotls as a pet. Look into getting a chiller, they are pricy but will solve your problems.

AlbinoAxie

Reaction score
30c will kill your axolotl fast, adding ice to a tank drops the temp but axolotls dont like temp fluctuations either. If you can not find a reliable way to cool you tank you need to reconsider axolotls as a pet. Look into getting a chiller, they are pricy but will solve your problems.

as i said, its because of the lid and water level that a 2L wont fit. the temp is always 30degrees c here. in the tank its about 26-27. he is a happy little axie now i have refilled and cleaned his tank, he has regained normal color and is swimming more than before. thanks guys :) ill get an ammonia test asap.

xxianxx

Reaction score
as i said, its because of the lid and water level that a 2L wont fit. the temp is always 30degrees c here. in the tank its about 26-27. he is a happy little axie now i have refilled and cleaned his tank, he has regained normal color and is swimming more than before. thanks guys :) ill get an ammonia test asap.

26-27c is also a lethal temp over a period of time , do some research on basic care requirements. Temp is best below 20c, low 20s is ok 21-22c, any more and you start to get problems.

FX1C

Reaction score

NO! YOUR AXIE IS NOT OK! :(

YOU ARE NOT LISTENING!

YOU ARE 15 & HAVE BEEN GIVEN A PRESENT THAT IS TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE GIVEN YOUR LEVEL OF MATURITY & INABILITY TO LISTEN TO ADVICE & LEARN!

I recommend you consider finding it a better home or returning it to the pet shop it came from - your tank is obviously too small to begin with!
Go buy a goldfish!

I'm cringing at the thought of what torture your poor axie is going through & I'm pretty annoyed at your attitude that he's suddenly made some amazing miraculous recovery! That is bulls**t because its impossible to recover from all that you are putting him through quickly if at all! :(

You need to learn to listen to advice or your axie will die a slow painful death thanks to you!

<3 >o_o< <3

esn

Reaction score
To be a responsible owner you need to stop ignoring the care information given. We have given you answers and resources, but you seem pretty set on ignoring the inconvenient part of what we're saying. You need a bigger tank and a way to cool it properly, along with a test kit. If you ignore the information given then you are the only one responsible for the death of your axolotl, which is almost assured at those temperatures and this level of care. Read the guides. Take our advice completely. If you can't handle it, request that the axolotl be taken back to the pet store.

AlbinoAxie

Reaction score
i AM getting all the proper tests and things needed. i AM listening to you guys. i have bought a cooler on the internet. i have a bigger tank in the shed (which im cleaning) and i know that it would be my fault. look, im trying my hardest and i am listening and taking all needed info. just living in a small town (600 people max) we dont have an available pet shop or stuff like that is making it harder to get all the needed equiptment. like i said, i am getting all the proper stuuf asap. sorry if im angering you :confused::(

FX1C

Reaction score
If you really want to do the right thing then listening is a great start!

Don't be in denial that he's suffering from what he's going through.

There has been plenty of advice to get your axie to reduce stress & put into a calmer temporary state by popping it into the fridge... Then you can take time to get test kits & get the environment more suited to you axie.

I'm sorry if I got upset with you but it does frustrate me when someone is oblivious to a serious problem. Your post that he was ok & back to normal pretty much did it as it cannot be possible to go from peeling skin to ok in a day!!

I am probably more pissed off with the person who gave it to you to be honest! Pets are not a great gift to start with & to be given properly, lots of thought as to essential needs should also be covered!

What size is the new tank you're cleaning now? What sort of cooler have you found? - there are tank fans that are very good for keeping temp down.

We are here to help & all we want to know is that you're listening :)

<3 >o_o< <3

AlbinoAxie

Reaction score
i was more posting that he has returned to his normal color.
my mother got it but see she went into the shop and said
"i want an Axie, what do i need"
and what i got is what he gave her. he also told me that the tank i have is perfect. i then got on here and went through the threads and found some useful stuff.

i didnt get an ammonia nitrate/nitrite test. all i got was water conditioner, ph and its stabilisers. a 50L filter and a 30L tank. oh and the gravel.

thats all i got and mum said the tank the pet shop owner got Zaxon out of was smaller than a shoe box.

could you please list EXACTLY what i need and ill get it :) (well, try)

FX1C

Reaction score
Please read the topics listed in the forums all the items are listed there plus you can see pics of other people's axies & tanks!

It's not like you need much more than a Freshwater Testing Kit & a tank that's the right size.

It's more about what you can do for your axie - testing water & keeping it cool enough plus feed it the right foods.

Pet shops are notorious for giving poor information, not good at knowing about all species - which is why I'm always finding out what I need to know before I go to the shops.

It hopefully won't take much to get him comfortable.

Posting a few pics will help us see how your axie is as well as help with any tank issues you might have.

<3 >o_o< <3

AlbinoAxie

Reaction score
i cant upload pictures. my connecter cable and sd card are screwed. i researched heaps before i got him but obviously, not enough. i really wanna do well, what litres is a good size tank?

FX1C

Reaction score
i cant upload pictures. my connecter cable and sd card are screwed. i researched heaps before i got him but obviously, not enough. i really wanna do well, what litres is a good size tank?

It's more about tank size than litres, most on here seem to recommend a minimum of
2ft long x 1ft wide x 1ft deep for one adult axie - up to 3 axies maximum in a 3ft long tank with lots of hides. Axies need a long tank (running room) not so much a high deep tank.

Your axie is already 20cm so it needs a decent size area with a place to hide & maybe some real plants (they help with the tank cycle a bit too) keeping the tank floor easy to access for cleaning up poop helps you manage waste in tank & you could feed in a jar (another great thread topic on here with fun pics) to save food escaping everywhere.

An accurate thermometer is essential so you know what the water temp is easily. I've bought the AquaOne digital thermometer & they are only $13.50.

If you have trouble getting things locally try online & if you can't find it there send me a msg - I'll gladly post things out to you to make life a bit easier :)

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1