Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My poor poor babies....

AxieMama

Reaction score
As I was going away for a few days over Xmas, I put 6 babies I had been keeping in separate tubs with 100% daily water changes, into a small, fully cycled aquarium with filter and air stone, and a small feeding jar of live blackworm.

I was concerned about coming home to a missing limb or 2, but thought this preferable to leaving them in fouled water for 4 - 5 days.

The largest was around 6cms long, the smallest around 3.5, with the average size being just under 6.

I ensured there were plenty of plants and hidey holes for the littlest to escape to if necessary. I have returned home to 1 very fat Axie, and one mid sized one, with no sign of any of the others :(. I have yet to clear the tank and search fully, but am pretty sure I won't find any....

HOW THE HECK DOES A 6cm AXIE EAT ONE ALMOST HIS OWN SIZE??? To say I am devastated, would be an understatement

Asuka

Reaction score
I'm very sorry... I hope you do find them somewhere. I have no idea, gluttonous I would say they are.

xxianxx

Reaction score
This happens, I dont wish to sound flippant as I am sure you put a lot of effort into raising them but what you have experienced is natural selection , you now have the fittest axys in your tank which can only be a good thing if you wish to breed them in the future.

AxieMama

Reaction score
Yes, I know you are right, but right now I can't bear to even look at him and his BIG FAT BELLY!!!!!!! :mad::mad:

xxianxx

Reaction score
Yes, I know you are right, but right now I can't bear to even look at him and his BIG FAT BELLY!!!!!!! :mad::mad:

Keep looking ! He is the best you have left ! I encourage cannibalism in my juvy tanks, you end up with top of the range axolotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!