Question: Moving my axolotls

danielglennon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello fellow axolotl enthusiasts

I am moving cities in January, moving about 100 miles and approximately a two and a half hour drive away. I have two axolotls who are approximately a year old and who share a tank and was wondering if anyone has done anything similar and has any useful tips. I'm taking the opportunity to move them into a larger aquarium which I'm setting up ten days prior so when they get to their new home that part should be relatively easy.

Should I keep them separate while in transit or will they prefer travelling together? It's cold in the UK at the moment, but I assume the temperature dropping in the van won't be an issue for axolots. Would they be better off in a bucket of water with a ventilated lid or a plastic bag, which is the way I originally got them home.

Any advice would be much appreciated, to help make our move less stressful.

Many thanks guys!

There are dozens of threads on this. It's usually best to put them in a tupperware dish with a lid, and bring along some water. Like children, they'll poop as soon as you put them in the car.

bring along some water. Like children, they'll poop as soon as you put them in the car.

:eek: ewwwwwwwww lmao

Story told from someone with waaaay too much experience! :) lol

<3 >o_o< <3

I recently moved with my babies i put them both together in a large plastic tub i say large i mean large for sandwiches ha it wa about a foot long with a lid they also wer in this tub around two hours and went into their newly cycled tank, i let them explore and get used to the tank then fed them that night they ate and pooped and had no sogns of stress, ive been here ermm almost a month now and all is still fine x

As said, large tubs are your best bet. You could maybe put the tubs into an even larger tub together so they're a little more stable in the moving vehicle. Likewise, I've rehomed axolotls and they've turned up in large "fish bags" placed in a bucket. Although this isn't the way I'd transport them, they weren't caused any stress or harm.

As a college student, I have to move Godric between all the long breaks of the school season. At first I was worried that the movement would stress him out and mess up the tank ecosystem, but he really doesn't seem to care and I use the same tank ornaments and everything so my helpful bacteria friends don't all go to hell each time (haven't had any problems with ammonia or nitrite).

To transport Godric, I use a long Tupperware tub, about 6 inches deep and 12 inches long (not exact measurements; just estimating) and I keep it topped with a solid plastic lid that has air holes cut into it. I also use the same container to do some of his feedings, so he's used to being in it. Maybe it doesn't affect much, but I feel like it minimizes the stress because he's familiar with it.

To avoid the Georgia heat, I usually put his container in a cooler that has a thin layer of ice cubes on the bottom, but if your ambient temperature is low enough then I wouldn't worry about that.

Just try to minimize the time your axie is out of the tank as much as possible, even if it's seconds. Godric's tank is the last thing I pack and the first thing I set up again, always. Keep the axie container as stable as possible; don't let it jostle around if you can help it.

Otherwise, moving your axies shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just plan your steps out beforehand and all should be fine :)

Also, a quick edit: I personally would not put more than one axie to a container. The close proximity is just too much of a risk for one of them to be nipped. Travel is stressful enough without your tankmate taking a bite out of you >.>

Thanks all for the advice, very much appreciated. Thanks Embry in particular for your very detailed response x

I would honestly say a large bag would be best the ones you get when your buy a fish, as there less likely to crash around every were and swish and a bag is much softer when crashing into plus you wont spill water everywere, and i would put them in seperate bags while travelling. Hope this helped and good luck with the move hope you and your axies like your new home:).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back