Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Marbled newts

jamesmc087

Reaction score
Hi all got a pair of marbled newts today was not supposed to get them for another week or two so just have them in a temporary habbitat for a day or 2 while I set up there permanent home any help and advice on setting it up would be great and even a few pics of some of your hsbbitats would help to thanks for looking

James McCabe

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Here's an article on bottled water.

It states this in the article, but unless there's some reason why you absolutely shouldn't use your tap water, it's generally fine for amphibians (as long as it's dechlorinated).

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
What Kaysie said, the only reason I use either Rain Water or Bottled Water is when spraying the tanks as after a while, regardless of using a De-chlorinator you still end up getting Deposits over the glass which is hard to remove safely in Amphibian tanks.

jamesmc087

Reaction score
Thanks very much my tap water is very bad and not drinkable so I'll have to use another source thanks for the reply

James McCabe

evut

Reaction score
I keep my marbled newts in a plastic tub with holes drilled in the lid during their terrestrial period. I use forest soil (including lots of leaves) mixed with a bit of coco fibre, about 3-5cm deep. On top they have lots of moss, a selection of different hiding places (stacked cork bark pieces, a coconut house) and a water bowl (plastic tub with some stones in it to make it easier for them to get out). Because the lid isn't all breathable, I only need to mist once in a while (there must be some holes though, they need good ventilation). The newts have a selection of food living with them - earthworms, woodlice and little slugs (their favourite). This set up seems to work well.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all got a pair of marbled newts today was not supposed to get them for another week or two so just have them in a temporary habbitat for a day or 2 while I set up there permanent home any help and advice on setting it up would be great and even a few pics of some of your hsbbitats would help to thanks for looking

James McCabe
If you haven't seen this yet, you will benefit from reading this caresheet from the Caudata Culture section: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Triturus marmoratus

Also, take a look here for pics of habitats and setups: Caudata Culture Articles - Setups

evut

Reaction score
The deeper the better, basically. More water is easier to maintain in terms of chemical and thermal stability. If it's heavily planted then it's even better. The newts also need plants to lay eggs on. The problem with 50/50 tanks is that you ideally want one full sized aquarium plus one full sized terrarium, so it needs to be fairly big. Have a look at some projects on Caudata Culture and in the Vivarium section of the forum. I would also recommend to read as much as you can on Caudata Culture - the articles will answer many of you future question.
How old/big are your newts now and how many do you have?

jamesmc087

Reaction score
Hi again I got this set up today for my two newts I hope it's ok I have a much bigger tank which I am going to start getting ready for them for when they are older hope ye like it
upagavah.jpg
5y3u5uby.jpg
thanks for looking

James McCabe

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You'll want to fill the water up to the land area, or the newts will have a hard time hauling out of the water.

jamesmc087

Reaction score
Very sorry the picture is not great quality the water is up to the lowest of the land sections and then there is cork bark and vines up to the second section I'll try get some clearer photos up today I took them with my phone and it was getting dark sorry

James McCabe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1