Rescued axolotl help me help it

Tarabull

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tara
Fist let me say yes I should have left it at the store to die so that they don't buy more. With that said I bought it anyway because I couldn't let it die there. It is too thin, with curled stumpy gills that have no fluff, it's tail isn't very wide and it's only about 4 inches long. I'm having issues with uploading a picture with my phone. Do I put him in a tank and fatten it up? Or do I need to go to other measures?

How long you got him? Post some pictures, for the moment keep him in cool clean water, give him some hides and make sure there is not too much water flow. He may not eat at first. Just give him some time to get to know environment. Please post some pictures and let us know how he behaves.

There's a lot of great info on this site, and in the links to the axolotl sites in the tool bar. If you really want to help it take the time to read it. In the meantime I'd put the poor little bugger in a container of clean cold water that has been treated with a dechlorinator and change it daily. For food blackworms or earthworms are the best. With proper care you new buddy should be all straight in no time.

I found it today. It's in a quarantine tank now with a bare bottom, a hide and no filter to keep it from getting stressed. The water is treated. The first feeding it threw up but I think it was too much food to quickly so I'll try smaller and frequent feeds. I have read tons on the site already but was curious if there is anything else I should be doing. Thank you for the responses.

Here is the picture. It isn't in this container anymore used it to get rid of the old water and snapped the picture before it could hide in the new tank. I've named it Ayudame, help me in Spanish.

Attachments

• IMAG0657.jpg
    IMAG0657.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 319
Poor lil guy :(. I'm sure he'll come good with your care. I think he's very pretty :happy:

I couldn't have left him in the pet shop either. He's lucky you found him.

I rehomed a baby in a similar condition. He's not been home long so give him some time to settle in. I couldn't get my little one to eat frequently for a week but he'll get there. Give him a cube of bloodworm daily and leave it in with him for a little while. If he doesn't eat it, no worries - It'll get better. You could also try him on earthworms and wax worms and if you're able to get hold of some. They're nice and fatty so are great for gaining weight, you may have to chop them up into smaller pieces which is gross but worth it! Keep working on it, give it 3-4 weeks he'll be looking great :eek:

He was floating at the top when I saw him this morning but when he noticed food he perked up and ate a few chopped up worms. He's taken to eating with the turkey baster well. I tried blood worms yesterday and he wasn't as big on those for some reason so fileted earthworms are the main diet.

Small, numerous feedings are key. It's hard on them to go from starving to having tons of food all at once. Winter fishing is about to be in full swing so you should be able to get waxworms from any gas station/convenience store. Waxworms are full of fat and will help him pack on some weight.

Definitely second Jess. Small, frequent meals. One or two waxies a feeding, once or twice a day.

It's a great sign that he's eating already! He's in rough shape, but if he's eating, he should come around.

Poor little guy :(

If he's eating, however little at first, he'll pull through. My Derpy hardly ate at all when I got him, now he swims to the top of the tank to snatch worms out of my hands! I don't even have the time to bring my hand down to the bottom of the tank :D

I'd say, try not to give him bloodworms unless necessary. They don't contain all the needed nutrients. Chopped up earthworms are gross, but well worth it once you see him gain some weight :)

And like the others said, waxworms should help him gain some as well.

I'm sure this little one is in capable hands. Keep us updated on how he fares :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back