Question: Loud music effects on Axolotl?

axle89

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I practise DJ sets on PA speakers pretty loud in the room where my Axy is kept.

I was concerned that it might cause stress? The music is not loud enough to make any vibrations that I can see or feel on the tank but is it possible that they are sensitive to it?

Although it does effect them, I feel from experience it can effect each individually. I keep a lot of tanks in my bedroom and music is of course, occasionally played in there. Some of them seem to almost enjoy it (likely because they think the vibrations is me at the surface of the water with food) while others will shy away, hence why I tend not to play it there anymore. I only play it on a docking station and it causes these effects, I should think large speakers and woofers would produce much more intense vibrations causing larger "effects" on the axolotl.

Yes, loud music can have an effect on axolotls. I think Ianclick's posts in this thread will be of interest to you: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...set-ups-filters-substrate/60397-too-loud.html

I think he covers just about everything on the topic ;)

"We found that frequencies under 150Hz caused the greatest reaction. These frequencies are of the range that would be reproduced through a sub speaker or Bass guitar or kick drum."

Interesting link, does the above quote show axolotls dont like a bass line?

"We found that frequencies under 150Hz caused the greatest reaction. These frequencies are of the range that would be reproduced through a sub speaker or Bass guitar or kick drum."

Interesting link, does the above quote show axolotls dont like a bass line?

I would have thought being as the bass line is the deepest note it would cause the most vibration.

Those guys were talking about anti social noise levels, axolotls appear to be ok with family "back ground noise", but sudden loud noises like the slamming doors or the banging on tanks can startle them (both are which are banned in my house).
Axle89, you wrote "I practise DJ sets on PA speakers pretty loud in the room where my Axy is kept." Probably best to keep the axolotls in a separate room.

I may be wrong, but I find that when I talk to my axies (I talk to all my pets, it's just something I do hehe) they do seem to react, however little. But like I said, I could be wrong.

I am not sure they can hear, the problem might be the sound wave. Slapping tank creates one and they are obviously creates one and they are scared like Ian said. But that is sudden, I am not sure does the constant bass line have the same effect.

I play bass. Now my axies probably hate me for that.

I play bass. Now my axies probably hate me for that.

I play bass & drums (I've got 2 kits - 1 Pearl Kit & 1 electronic kit) thankfully I can devote an entire room to my music :) so my axies aren't tortured like my neighbours :D lol

<3 >o_o< <3

Thanks for the info, I will definitely reconsider keeping them together now.. possibly making a studio room for all my PA and production setup.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back