Floating

funki35

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have 2 axolotls , i have had them for 8/9 months now and i am just wondering is there anything wrong with them as they float alot at the top of the tank , they have always done it and look fine and eat well , they even have no prob taking food from my daughters hand ( tescos own prawns they love em ) if i touch them at 1st they dont move like they are dead yet when i touch them again they swim to the bottom , is this how they sleep ? or is somthing wrong with them ?

Firstly touching axolotls isn't a good idea as they have a delicate slime coat.

Also feeding prawns isn't a very good diet for the axie - live earthworms are a much more balanced diet to feed :)

As for floating... Have you tested the water? How often do you do water changes & how much % removed? Does their tank have a filter or an air stone.. Or both? Axies need oxygen in the water & without & air stone they will have to go to the surface for air more often... Being lazy they might just decide its easier to hang at the top rather than going up & down... The water parameters are the most important thing to check incase it's signs of stress - but if they've always done it it seems hardly likely it's a stress thing..

So check the basics & then if water all good - they might just like it there:)

Last question... are they pooing ok?
If its going in one end & coming out the other - that's always a good sign ;)

<3 >o_o< <3

My young ones float too - until I feed them (I feed them at the top by hand). Then they go down among the weeds. I am still trying to get mine onto worms - apparently the best and most complete food. Maybe yours are just ready to eat?

I test my water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate on a regular basis, if you are not already doing this, I would recommend it, just to prevent any problems and give you peace of mind.

You can always post pictures, folks here can tell you if they are looking healthy then.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back