Illness/Sickness: Ragged tail and floating - maybe getting worse??

peatea

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, there - we are new axolotl owners and have fallen in love with our two new copper little ones (hatched 4 September).

One of our axolotls is floating and has a ragged tail, which seems to be getting worse. She (or he?) is eating well - earthworms and pellets. I thought maybe the other one bit her tail thinking it was food while she was floating, as it is on the floor per usual....

We cycled the tank (54 litres) before introducing them and the temperature has been steady at 22C. Is that too warm? Just want to check whether we should be doing something for her, as we hate to think that she may be sick/hurting and we aren't taking care of her...:confused:

Photo attached of what her tail looks like....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 321
And, here is the photo of her tail that was to be attached!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 316
And one more photo....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 292
The tail looks like a war wound. floating is generally normal unless it is floating on its side. the tail should heal on its own.

Thank you! And, thanks to all of those 'in the pond' that gave advice as well! Much appreciated!!

Me again.... Our axolotls tail looks worse and two of his toes have turned white - I'll post a picture if I can get one. I'm assuming this maybe fungus and we should start salt bath/fridging? The other axolotl in the tank is fine - both are still eating well...

The tank has been at a consistent 22 degrees - could this be the problem? We were told anything under 24 was okay for them...

Just an update on this....

Discovered another wound on our axolotl's leg - appears all damage has been caused by the tankmate (our other axolotl - both hatched at the same time, both copper colour and purchased from a private breeder). We watched her/him 'stalk' across the tank after the injured axolotl and try to bite her again at feeding time rather than eat her worms, which she spat out.

We have separated them and placed the injured one in the fridge, as the damage to the leg was quite significant. She/he is doing well in the fridge - no fungus as of yet and eating very small amounts each day, but does get stressed when we do the water change each day. We are keeping two containers in the fridge (one with her in it and one with dechlorinated water to use for water change time). We take the containers out of the fridge and transfer her to the fresh one using a net. Just wondering if there is a better or different way to do this to keep her stress to a minimum?

The other axolotl is doing well despite being aggressive. I've read in the forums that open wounds, under feeding, different sizes and higher temps can all cause aggressiveness. Wondering if those of you that have had success at reintroducing axolotls in similar situations have done anything more or different than addressing the issues identified in the forum that may cause aggressiveness?

Thanks!

Thats weird my axolotls are never really agressive until feeding time. I get told differently all the time but I got 5 axies in a 4 foot tank and I am told they don't like company and yet mine are much more active with company and seem to do most things together. I have only ever had one incident where an axie lost her foot from a bite. All is different I suppose. Just keep the water cool and the water clean and you should be fine. I have found axies only get upset when they are either under fed or are in too hot water.

Thanks, alamao

I read in a previous post by a vet that open wounds can cause aggressiveness/cannibilism in axolotls. As the skin on her leg was ripped open, I'm wondering if that may have been part of the cause. They are both still relatively young - hatched early Sept, which may have also played a part?

We have the temp under control now - between 18 and 19 degrees - and water parameters are good. Hopefully, she keeps recovering well and they play nicely if we decide to put them back together in future!!

Axolotls aren't really aggressive. Almost all cases of limb-nipping are a case of mistaken identity. After all, legs look an awful lot like worms!

The best way to prevent this is to have a lot of visual barriers. Lots of tall plants, hides, etc. Rearrange the tank before putting your axie back in.

As far as stressful water changes: if you're steady enough, you can move the axie between tubs by hand. Put the front legs between your fore- and middle fingers, and put the rest of your fingers under the body, and be quick. It's less stressful than being chased by the net. Be sure you have super-clean hands (wash, rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse)! This is my preferred method.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back