Question: Clarity on tank temperature....

peatea

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,

I have been searching the threads about temperature for Axolotl tanks and feel there is a bit of contradictory advice...:confused:

Some say a constant temperature of 20 degrees Celsius is too high and could cause illness- best to keep the temperature around 16 degrees. Others say anything under 24 degrees Celsius is okay, so constant temp of even 22 degrees wouldn't be a problem.

As we are in Australia, I am curious as to what is an appropriate constant temperature for our Axolotls that will keep them from heat stress and illness.

Thanks!

From what I know, temperatures between 10-20C are all good for axies, but the optimum temperature is 18C

Thanks for the quick response - much appreciated!

I'm in sydney too & after reading loads agree with the anything over 24/25 is reason to start worrying & pulling out all stops to get tank temp down...
Fans / frozen bottles etc
Mine tanks will creep up to 22degC & that starts getting me worrying :eek:

I'm lucky that I've got aircon so my place doesn't get over 25 before I turn it on & turned the house into a fridge ;)
I've found keeping a tower fan angled over the surface of the tank is dropping temp by 3-4 degC... I air my house over night opening all windows open wide to cool house with fans on all night & close it up 1st thing in the morning, windows closed / block out curtains closed - that keeps the day temps down greatly - my tanks were down to 16degC a couple of mornings lately 0.0 they were really cold to touch :) which equalled quite happy axies.

I think summer will be tough - but most of the year keeping the tank temp low shouldn't be a problem :) I'll just have to put socks on in winter instead of turning on the heat ;)

<3 >o_o< <3

Thanks!! That is really reassuring! Will purchase a fan tomorrow and hopefully that and the air con will work for us too :happy:

New fan with our air con is working well! Temp is down to 18 - thanks for your advice!!

New fan with our air con is working well! Temp is down to 18 - thanks for your advice!!

Good timing :D it's going to be
HOT HOT HOT here in Sydney for the next week or so :eek: thank goodness for aircon :)

<3 >o_o< <3

I maintain my axie tank at a cool 16 degrees c using a chiller. best investment ever. not only do they maintain your tank at set temperature, they avoid the fluctuations in temperature and that's what stresses your axies.

they also act as a extra medium for good bacteria to colonize, the inside surfaces of the chiller and tubes leading to and from the machine will also (over time) be covered with the bacteria that keep your nitrogen cycle going.

Chris what brand chiller do you have?

I have a aqua one chiller, good for tanks upto 800L and my tank is only 120L so it's much more than I need.

set me back a cool $800 though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back