Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Hibernating Tiger Salamander?

elemorie

Reaction score
This past year I un-expectantly acquired what I think is a tiger salamander as a pet (there are pictures attached if anybody could tell me what kind he is). In the past few weeks he has slowed down quite a bit and has taken to actually burrowing under the dirt instead of hiding under his log. I’m wondering if he thinks he is supposed to be hibernating. I’m assuming he should be, I live in Michigan, but I don’t know what I need to do in order to keep caring for him in terms of feeding and such. Can anybody offer some suggestions for me?

Attachments

• Neville4.jpg
    Neville4.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,578
  • Neville5.jpg
    Neville5.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,298

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That's a nice tiger!

We have a simple caresheet written up for tiger keepers like you. Have a read through and it should answer most of your questions.

Contrary to popular belief, salamanders don't actually hibernate. They just slow down in the winter. It's not uncommon for them to eat less, or not at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1