Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamander habitat: Aneides lugubris & Oedipina

amkeller085

Reaction score
I joined because i found a thread on this website about outdoor salamander habitat. My property has many salamanders and would like to contribute. Organic litter like leaves or dropped clipping provide prey and habitat for these two species. Rock/rubble piles, logs, pots, and the most productive spot for them that i have seen is a stacked pile of old fence boards, that are not covered(protected). I also have many compost piles, and sources of water in form of birdbaths, and concrete sinks converted to small ponds, with plants, snails and fish. I don't use insecticides.
Please redirect to proper thread..

Lugubris

Reaction score
I am from the same area. The 'worm' salamanders as you probably call them, and as I used to call them before I learned more about salamanders, are actually not Oedipina but Batrachoceps or slender salamanders. Oedipina live further south, in Mexico and similar latitudes. Also, don't worry too much about providing sources of water. Both species are completely terrestrial, and the area gets plenty of rain and fog to provide them with moisture, although I'm sure they would appreciate a cool, damp place to estivate during summer.
Here is your link to outdoor enclosures:

Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews - Outdoor Enclosures at Caudata.org Newt and Salamander Portal

You may also be interested in:

Herpetological Science & Politics - Conservation and Habitat Management at Caudata.org Newt and Salamander Portal

and this link has detailed information about Plethodontids, or lungless salamanders which includes Aneides and Batrachoceps.

Species, Genus & Family Discussions - Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (<i>Bolitoglossa</i>, <i>Eurycea</i>, <i>Plethodon</i>, etc.) at Caudata.org Newt and Salamander Portal

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!