Been given eggs

pavett1990

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok guys need a bit of help and some advice (see a pattern coming) haha..
anyways..
i bought some ornaments off a lady for my tank who also had axolotls..
she told me that hers are laying eggs..
and i have recieved a message off her today saying unfortunatly she has ill health and is unable to care for them..

she has asked me to look after them..

what do i do?

Well, if you want them just go and get them, but if you think you're not prepared to take care of them... just don't get them.

Check the forum for threads, there are plenty of posts on raising eggs , I recommend you look at live food raising techniques, especially brine shrimp hatcheries, dont rely on shop bought live food, supplies run dry often.

Baby brine shrimp, 100% water changes each day and love. That's the best recipe for raising them. Good luck! ;)

Fab thank you.. With the water for eggs what's recommended for water change? Also when they hatch should I remove them straight away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fab thank you.. With the water for eggs what's recommended for water change? Also when they hatch should I remove them straight away

Put the eggs in clean dechlorinated water, light airation at room temp (about 20c-22c) and leave them alone till they hatch. You may wish to remove fungused or dud eggs with a turkey baster. When they hatch they will not feed for around 24 hours as they are feeding off their yolk sac. You can just add daphnia to their water and wait for them all to hatch and remove empty egg cases. If you are going to use baby brine shrimp remove the hatchlings to a seperate container. I suggest you read as many threads as possible before you ask any more questions lol, most if not all the advice you need is allready on this site.

I think the real key is just keeping them in clean water. I've hatched and raised axolotls just like fish. I use a ten gallon tank with a cycled sponge filter. I feed newly hatched brine one to two times a day. Every evening I siphon off the bottom of the tank with a air hose. It only takes a few minuts a day and I've never lost a hatchling . I don't split them up until they have both front and rear legs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back