Watching over lotls

Asuka

Reaction score
Country
Spain
My partner decided to take in two lotls, very cute juvies, a wild and a leutistic. One was called Remmy and the other Sunshine.Oddly my partner picked the sunshine name lol. Anyways, I've come over today because they had a concern about the housing, and such.

Remmy and sunshine are brothers (or sisters we don't know the sex yet) however, sunshine has been getting bigger and bigger while remmy remains pretty much the same.

And though at first they were the same size, now the difference is becoming apparent. We are slightly concerned because, we've observed a bit of nipping and bullying which didn't happen in the beginning. This began perhaps two days ago.

wewere wondering if separating them until they are both full grown would be a good idea. We don't want them to bite each other to the point to cause injury.

Also if we should be worried that remmy isn't growing as fast as sunshine, though I was told that Sunshine eats first and then when full does remmy search for scraps.So I'm not sure if that is a pecking order, or bullying, or-- what, also I'm not sure if remmy is growing slower because he ate less ?

From what I read it seems that separating them is a good idea, but I wanted to confirm this before anything, I know this kind of subject may be a bit repetitive, but just need assurance that it would be best.

My partner keeps them in a 28 gallon tank. If it is relevant to say.

Its hard to say with out seeing them, or knowing the feeding practices.

I had maybe something similar with some of mine, one would eat the food first and the other would sit back until he had stopped. I ended up hand feeding them earthworms either end of the tank. In their instance they soon both associated feeding in their own spots and the dominance over feeding stopped. They did still however grow at different speeds regardless, but in the end they are now both similar in size.

Its hard to say with out seeing them, or knowing the feeding practices.

I had maybe something similar with some of mine, one would eat the food first and the other would sit back until he had stopped. I ended up hand feeding them earthworms either end of the tank. In their instance they soon both associated feeding in their own spots and the dominance over feeding stopped. They did still however grow at different speeds regardless, but in the end they are now both similar in size.
I will take pictures next time I go there, I don't think my mate has a camera, >_>

Well, from I was told, the food mostly earthworms, bloodworms, wax worms and mysis shrimp, most of the time earthworms, but they shake up the diet to keep it balanced and varied. They place the food in a bowl where then they go eat, recently today, they have attempted to place food in either corner of the tank, but it seems that Sunshine will not allow Remmy feed first. And remmy hides until sunshine is full and proceeds to feed with whats left.

I'll post what the owner said on their e-mail (I editted bits and parts cause my partner is an idiot :D and they need to make an account instead of having me do all the posting, I summarized most of it above though):

Well, I noticed that remmy, is being very shy lately and sunshine has nipped him out of the blue when he got too close, or swims away making remmy startled and swimming in the opposite direction, I mean, honestly I'm scared that Sunshine is getting violent.

Not to mention chubby lol.

I read they have cannibalistic tendencies sometimes? I mean I feed Sunshine well, but gawd that looks like some painful nipping sometimes.Glad it didnt grab a gill or something.

I'm trying to make homemade pellets but can't find the jelly I need (iLL make ya some k?), meantime I feed, earthworms and those gusanos de la miel for remmy because he could use a bit of weight poor guy. I know you hate them. But I hear they are nice and fatty. He loooves them. Then I use sometimes the blood worms you gave me and the frozen mysis, but rarely cause it's messy lol.

I tried today putting down two bowls and placing some bloodworms down, sunshine is a mean one and stalked remmy a bit not letting him eat much.

As for measurements, I think remmy is roughly 8,5cm and around 2cm wide and sunshine is 13cm and almost 3cm wide. I think when I got them they were... like... 8 cm or so, just like remmy is now pretty much.

I would send ya a pic but I'm still waiting on the company to send me that darn cellphone lol, remember how the last one was a piece of ****?

Anywho, I'm looking up ideas to what to do if we have to seperate them, I know a fella who can hook me up with some nice custom made mesh dividers. Btw you need some too rite? Well, regardless send word when you know what we should do :p

hi, i had a similar problem. although i was assured both axies hatched around the same time, one was noticeably bigger. after having them about a week i noticed alot of fighting at meal times and the big one wouldn't let the other get much food.

to get around this i seperated them at feed time. i removed the small one from the tank and into a smaller container where i could keep an eye on him and monitor how much food he ate. i made sure he was fed more than the other one aswell. be careful though, i was only able to do this as my axe was laid back and didn't stress at being moved.

if i spotted the little one on his own eg. while the other one was hiding, i also dropped a few pellets 'secretly' to ensure he was fattening up haha.

it did work well and they are now both the same size. i feed them now at opposite ends of the tank if i can, but they son't fight too mch anymore.

I feed my juvie axolotls in separate containers from their tank. That way their water doesn't get dirty as fast, and it insures that they're getting an equal amount of food.

Regardless one of them is slightly larger than they other and I keep them in a 30g tank with plenty of hiding spaces.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back