Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Howdy

sam72

Reaction score
Good evening to all. My name is Sam and I am from New Zealand. I am hoping to learn lots and be able to pick brains about my little ones. My little ones are 2 golden axolotls, 2 wild type axolotls, (this guys live in a huge tank). Plus about 3 / 4 months ago I acquired 13 Chinese fire bellied eggs - only one passed away. These little guys are voracious eaters and are a hard case. They have not morphed yet but I think some are getting close. Their tank is huge and is split. 3/4 for water and approximately 1/4 for land. I will post some pictures as I can.

Last edited:

sam72

Reaction score
:( I feel so bad. 2 of my cfbn morphed (bless their little cotton socks), one decided to go wandering.
Not a good outcome I'm afraid. Their tank had a lid but I hadn't finished the land side of their tank. He/she got trapped (too tired I think to make it back to the water) :(:(:( I nearly cried when I found the little fella this morning. :(:(:(:(

Deraulle

Reaction score
Howdy from a fellow Kiwi!

Sorry to hear about your loss :( Thats awful. However, he/she was lucky enough to have such a devoted, caring owner like yourself. So you can feel happy in the fact you did well in that respect.

Welcome to the forum - I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures of your bunch!

sam72

Reaction score
Hi, I actually started a thread with some pictures of my tank - big place here, forget which area i put it under - No hang on it's coming back to me, the newt salamander discussion area, ill critters or questions to ask. I called it pimp my tank. Not the best photos out but you get the idea.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1