Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FYI: 13 adult axies in a 3ft tank :( listed for sale on gumtree

FX1C

Reaction score
I just saw this ad on gumtree (Australia)

I can't imagine how crowded that tank would be! :O

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357134320.807754.jpg

<3 >o_o< <3

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Disgusting, I can't believe they can look at all those axolotls and believe they look happy, comfortable and healthy. Sounds awful but I hope they have some casualties.

FX1C

Reaction score
I had to do it - I asked for pics :(

Wish I was closer so I could buy the lot.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357213173.290240.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357213187.842847.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357213200.177624.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357213211.524367.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357213224.806410.jpg

The last pic broke my heart :(

It's only a 14hr drive (one way)
To go pick them up... it'd sure give my Berlingo a good run o_O

<3 >o_o< <3

mackinthebox

Reaction score
I wouldnt consider that overcrowded myself
with good filtration and frequent water changes they could lead long happy lives in that tank...
it does need more hiding places and a bit less light
and at least there is a chiller
I dont see there being a serious problem here myself, but that would only apply if the water conditions are good
too much ammonia or the other deadly chemicals and yes, I would agree there are too many for one tanks filter to handle
most seem to have no missing limbs or nipped tails either, with maybe one exception there

xxianxx

Reaction score
The most suprising thing about that picture is that an Australian actually bought a chiller to keep their tank below 20c.

Moobear2010

Reaction score
Looking at the last pic i wouldnt count them as healthy or happy :( and does the pic show all 13? Nopes so i would consider it over crowding and there is difference in sizes :( bless em, x

FX1C

Reaction score
The most suprising thing about that picture is that an Australian actually bought a chiller to keep their tank below 20c.

Agreed :)

I genuinely feel bad for this guy,
this guy seems like he's hit really bad times & he's done everything right - he's even offered another tank he has in storage - I wish there was more I could do - I've messaged a friend who lives close by to him to see if she'd be interested in taking them on.
She's mad for turtles & has lots of tank experience - but not lotls ...yet ;)

For $300 it's a bargain as long as you have another tank or two to separate them all. Especially given it comes with a chiller :)

<3 >o_o< <3

esn

Reaction score
I'm not surprised by that. Large lab facilities will keep axolotls in much more cramped containers. They look better off than the state university's axolotls.

xxianxx

Reaction score
I'm not surprised by that. Large lab facilities will keep axolotls in much more cramped containers. They look better off than the state university's axolotls.

I am not recomending that anyone keep axolotls like this but check the chinese style of keeping axolotls http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...sion/86088-hi-we-china-baidu-bar-axolotl.html High stocking density, high volume water changes etc. Its not quite as rosy as it first appears, these guys pics are the best they have and using online translation I visited their forum to see its got as many sick / fungused axolotls as here.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Why is it surprising?

Because generally Australians dont buy chillers, they post in the sick axolotl thread about fungus and temp stressed axolotls instead, my apologies to the aussies who actually spend a couple hundred dollars on providing their pet a cool tank but most dont .

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Because generally Australians dont buy chillers, they post in the sick axolotl thread about fungus and temp stressed axolotls instead, my apologies to the aussies who actually spend a couple hundred dollars on providing their pet a cool tank but most dont .

Oh okay, it just sounded like you were saying we didn't need them, which of course would be crazy ^_^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!