Question: My water :/

Moobear2010

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there recently my water started to tirn cloudy so tested straight away (well pet shop did) all was fine been doing partial water changes bout 20% every other day just to try clear it up but having no look and now the water is starting to look green (dunno if its reflection of the plants in the cloudiness ) is there anything i can do is this any harm to my babies as my water checks all come back fine x

Post some pictures of the tank.

You are much better off buying the freshwater testing kit so you can test the water when you need to & that way you can more accurate adjust accordingly.

<3 >o_o< <3

Do you use a light on the tank? I'm wondering if it is algae ..

Theres patches of algae that i leave in unseen places as was told its beneficial i do use a light but not excessivly its probably on 4/5 hour a day if that, its only on when im in for my benefit ill post a pic but it doesnt look that bad on the pictures i dont know why x also looks like my filters on extreme ha be rest assured its not :) x

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357165866.876899.jpg

I was meant to put that in my original comment yes my tank is cycled for about two month in total now x

Newly cycled tanks will often experience bacterial/algal blooms. They're not harmful, but unsightly.

Keep up with your water changes, change a little more if you feel necessary.

How often shoul you replace live plants? I feel the need but dunno if thats guna make a difference good or bad x

How often shoul you replace live plants? I feel the need but dunno if thats guna make a difference good or bad x

If water quality is good - then plants should grow happily without ever needing to be replaced -
Anubia on driftwood is good & isn't actually 'planted' in the substrate :)
I've found I get lots of free plants because the java fern is so happy it produces plantlets on the fronds :)

<3 >o_o< <3

My plants do grow ..rapidly! Its just algae growin on them looks unsightly and i just like it to look fresh and new which it doesnt lol! I try to wash my plants but end up with leaves everywhere n not much of a plant left, i was looking at a picture earlier cant remember where n they had like a patch of what i can only describe as grass growing in their sand it looked pretty! I want that lol x

Looks like a bacterial bloom which will typically clear up in a few days. Do you use any sort of filtration in it?

EDIT: Just saw the power head in the picture. I would give it a few days and it should clear right up.

Its like the cloudiness is coming out of filter.. The waters not clear coming out i have tried giving it a little wash out would you recommend i change the foam pad thing inside filter? X

If its not better after a really good rinse in aquarium water (stuff you take out for water change)- take it out & wring all the gunk out - if that doesn't work then replacing the first level (cotton stuff) will improve the problem quickly (hopefully!) ;)

<3 >o_o< <3

I rinsed it in aquarium water n got all sticky bits out tried again still same so tried washin in dechlorinated water tried again still no change so ordered a new sponge bit still guna carry on with my water changes too x

I rinsed it in aquarium water n got all sticky bits out tried again still same so tried washin in dechlorinated water tried again still no change so ordered a new sponge bit still guna carry on with my water changes too x

Hopefully once you've got the new one running you'll notice the difference :)

You're doing everything you can & I'm pretty sure your axie won't mind the cloudy water :) keep an eye on the parameters & water changes in the mean time.

<3 >o_o< <3

Just wana thank you for your help after a substantial water change of 75% aged dechlorinated water my tank is sparkling again :) back to normal

Thankyou xx

Just wana thank you for your help after a substantial water change of 75% aged dechlorinated water my tank is sparkling again :) back to normal

Thankyou xx

Good news :)

Keep testing it for the next day or two
- 75% is quite a substantial change.

<3 >o_o< <3

Yeah i do keep testing :) i mat be over exadurating a little bit at 75% maybe 60 lol but still a lot but all is ok for now :) x

That bit of sponge is where most of your beneficial bacteria live. If you replace it with a new one you will be starting your cycle again almost from the beginning.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah i havent changed it just did the big waterchange i have two filters on minimal flow and was only going to change sponge in one but thought the same an decided against it for now x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back