Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A little news

Asuka

Reaction score
For those who were helping me with Aki, I thank you, however he passed away yesterday under the vet's supervision...
If you remember, He stopped eating after 1 week of being under my care, then held food and poop for 2 weeks, to the point I asked help from the forums and the pet store. The pet store informed me that they have a vet coming in regularly and because I could not pinpoint what was wrong, I left it under the vets/shop care.

A few days ago I went to see how he was, they told me he was better and I could come and pick him up this week. He was eating, pooping everything.
I did notice that the tail was pretty curled, however the red veins that had appeared on him was gone.
I asked about the tail, but they said he was probably stressed from the injection that was given to him.
Then, when I arrived today to pick him up, they told me he died suddenly the night before, that fungus had claimed his life. They gave me his body in a little plastic box.

I kinda was upset about the ordeal, and easily someone had noticed and heard the conversation came up to me and told me that he had lotls too, and he was looking for someone to perhaps adopt the babies they had had.

So i adopted a small, leutistic lotl today, and lost a friend... I am still upset about it and I am still wondering if it was even a good idea to adopt one, but the guy insisted for me not to give up on the hobby and he advised me not to buy any more from the store, because he only goes there to get bloodworms and conditioner and that the fish there are in bad health most of the time.

Which could be true, it's a shame because the owners were nice to me when I first started in the aquatic hobby and I've been buying from them for years now, though they blamed me for the axolotl's death saying the cause was very acidic ph, cause they tested the water Aki had come in with. Saying it was a 6, and I came home paranoid, tested my ph and it's a 7...

What did I learn? Trust caudata, screw pet stores.

P.S this guy needs a name. Trust me, you wanna help, I once had a cat called nameless and a hamster called cheesecake.

To get an idea this lotl has spent more time staring at me than eating it's bloodworms. And when I move around the tank, it follows the movement/shadows o.o'' it must think I'm like a super worm or something... truth is having this guy here made me feel a little better

Pics:
1- In his bag
2- Staring at me take a pic
3- Ph 7-7,5 >_> acidic my butt.

Attachments

• IMG_1644.jpg
    IMG_1644.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1647.jpg
    IMG_1647.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1646.jpg
    IMG_1646.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 181

Asuka

Reaction score
Have you figured out why your axolotl got fungus in the first place ?

No idea, they said it was all my ph's fault, and when I looked at the body... it didn't have signs of fungus...:/

Moobear2010

Reaction score
If hes following you like a shadow i believe his name should be pretty obvious something along the lines of ... "Shadow" maybe? X

xxianxx

Reaction score
No idea, they said it was all my ph's fault, and when I looked at the body... it didn't have signs of fungus...:/

Would you agree with the statement that a responsible owner would determine why a recently acquired pet died before buying another ?

FX1C

Reaction score
Would you agree with the statement that a responsible owner would determine why a recently acquired pet died before buying another ?

Couldn't agree more with knowing your environment is safe to put another life into!

Also I note in your photo that you're handling the axolotl - this is not a good idea! They are very fragile & any form of touch potentially can damage the slime coat or add unwanted soaps detergents (antibacterial wash / purell are the enemy if your beneficial tank bacteria) can be absorbed into the axies skin :( as cute as they are... they're definitely a hands off pet :) look but don't touch ;)

<3 >o_o< <3

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more with knowing your environment is safe to put another life into!

Also I note in your photo that you're handling the axolotl - this is not a good idea! They are very fragile & any form of touch potentially can damage the slime coat or add unwanted soaps detergents (antibacterial wash / purell are the enemy if your beneficial tank bacteria) can be absorbed into the axies skin :( as cute as they are... they're definitely a hands off pet :) look but don't touch ;)

<3 >o_o< <3

He's in a travel bag, hands on the outside :)

Asuka

Reaction score

I did not buy it. It was given to me by a person who just was there when I was discussing this with the pet store owner.

And my environment was tested. They blamed my ph thus I got my ph tested as you see above. I also checked ammonia and such, amnonia is 0, ph is either 7-7,5 as you see in the pic.

Many people when helping me believed that

a- He was sick already and arrived to my house sick
b- It was my water conditions.

And my water is fine.

But yes I agree with the statement... I did not feel wise doing it. Perhaps I should just find it a new home then. Or send it over with my partner's, they have 2 lotls and I'm sure he can accommodate a third in a separate tank.

Asuka

Reaction score

<3 >o_o< <3

My environment is safe as far as I know, I bought tests to make sure, O_O'' I have fish, many in fact, sure it's not the same thing, I keep comparing them to fish because they live in the same tap/conditioned water. Most of them are tropical fish and rescue bettas.

But yes I do not know what else to do to check if my environment is bad or good for an axie. The tank I have that is only occupied by minnows to keep the bb alive and in which the axie would stay if I decide to keep him

has:

- Thin silice sand10kg
- 1 ceramic bowl
- 1 terracota pot
- silk plants with no iron stems
- Plastic aquarium plants
- waterfall filter
- fake lotus plant
- Marimo balls
- Java moss
tank: 20 gallons
temp: 18 C

It is pretty similar to what Aki had. Right known mr. Unknown axie is in a barebottom tank, with a coffee mug as a hidey with a HOB.

tank: 10gallons
temp: 17C

Minniechild

Reaction score
Perhaps keep him in the bare bottom for a month's quarantine, leave the tank Aki was in as it is, watch the current occupants VERY carefully, graph the parameters every second day so you get a longitudinal idea of what's happening, and if you can find someone to do it, run a culture sample on Aki's tank to see if there's anything nasty that can be picked up. Don't give up on Shadow, but be responsible in how you are going to make sure his home's ready and appropriate for him :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!