Axolotls kept in pond

JodieBromilow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Jodie.B.
I have 2 female axolotls in my pond its around 11ft, there doing really well and im planning on putting 2 males in with them this spring, I dont really feed them i only feed them when i spot a slug or worm and throw it in but hardly ever they normally just eat goldfish fry and stickle back fry and water bugs. I was wondering if anyone else has axolotl`s in their pond?.

644372_4046249669313_1414788606_n[1].jpg
This is my pond their kept in.

I think it's a great idea and much more realistic to their natural habitat where they have to find their own food. However if you have goldfish fry, then surely you have adults producing them.. and won't these nip at the axie gills?

I think it's a great idea and much more realistic to their natural habitat where they have to find their own food. However if you have goldfish fry, then surely you have adults producing them.. and won't these nip at the axie gills?

Unlike an aquarium a pond would provide space for an axolotl to escape harassment from a goldfish. I know a couple of people who use ponds to keep axolotls, hope a few post in this thread.

Looks like a great idea! I was wondering though, is animal predation a possibility in your area? In my part of the world, both raccoons and house cats have been known to snack on fish kept in shallow back yard ponds.

Not a problem were i live really as cats dont really come in my garden becaue my own cat normally chases them away, and I dont have raccons etc here :happy:.

Corvids could be a problem. I would also be concerned about the fact that the pond is open to local fauna, including visiting amphibians. Apart from the fact that the axolotls could eat some of those, there´s also the problem of patogen contamination both ways. When keeping non-native fauna outdoors one should always keep them isolated from the environment.

Hmm not a problem about any birds again as my cat normally sits around the pond, I know many people who have ponds like mine and have thrived like mine are now.

Just wondering, how long have been in there now?
As the birds and cats might not have got wise to them being in there yet
It might be an idea investing in one of the nets you can get for fish ponds

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back