Question: Introducing a new Axolotl into an unestablished tank

MearWolf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Joe
Hi guys, I'm wondering whether it's safe or not to introduce a new animal into an unestablished and uncycled tank? I've kept tropical fish before but if you've seen my earlier posts, even though I've been doing a lot of research this is still my first caudate so I'm still a stranger to the set-up process and I'm want to make sure I don't kill the poor thing!

Also obviously I wasn't thinking of just dropping it in without acclimatisation.

A lot of people will say that cycling is absolutely necessary. It's not. It's preferred, but if you're experienced with water quality you're likely capable of keeping up with it.

An axolotl can be kept in a tub or tank of non cycled water easily - it just requires frequent water changes and an eye on ammonia spikes. I never cycle my tanks first. Axolotls are a lot simpler than tropical tanks, in my mind. Just keep the water clean and cold. Don't over-complicate it. If you search for them, there are threads about cycling your tank with the axolotl in it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back