Question: Water Parameters

Jen10s

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Jen
Hi all - got us a new baby today, will post pics when it comes out of hiding :D

Question about Ammonia / Nitrate readings. Did partial water change today and checked levels this evening. Ammonia is 0.25 / Nitrate between 40 & 80 (need better eyes I think). High range PH 7.4 and Nitrite 0.0

Can someone tell me, if the Ammonia comes down, will the Nitrates also reduce?

Planning another 20% water change tomorrow to get the Ammonia down. Also have just put in 1 live plant - Java Fern to hopefully help a bit.

Cheers

Hi all - got us a new baby today, will post pics when it comes out of hiding :D

Question about Ammonia / Nitrate readings. Did partial water change today and checked levels this evening. Ammonia is 0.25 / Nitrate between 40 & 80 (need better eyes I think). High range PH 7.4 and Nitrite 0.0

Can someone tell me, if the Ammonia comes down, will the Nitrates also reduce?

Planning another 20% water change tomorrow to get the Ammonia down. Also have just put in 1 live plant - Java Fern to hopefully help a bit.

Cheers

Are you cycling your tank? Usually when there is ammonia it slowly becomes Nitrite, and from that NitRAte.

But you will have high ammonia the first few weeks, 0,25 should be the limit and slowly it should disappear to have Nitrites then NitrAtes which will be eliminated with your water changes.

Read about cycling here:

How to Cycle a Fish Tank - Oscarfishlover.com
Tips for Cycling Your New Aquarium - The First Tank Guide - Getting Your Fish Tank Up and Running with Minimal Headaches

and yes some plants do consume NitrAtes but not necessarily ammonia, and they will only consume so much, so they won't get rid of it 100%

And I do think your Nitrate readings are VERY high. Are you using a liquid test or a strip? Liquids are more accurate, but still, I think another water change is in order.

Hi Asuka, I'm using the API Master Kit (liquid) for testing.

My tank has been running for quite a number of years so plants and decorations should already be OK, substrate (sand) was changed early December, new Internal Filter added about 3 weeks ago (added a little of the old media to help establish quicker) and chiller added about 1 week ago.

Have had about 12 Rosy Barbs in there since early December (but they'd live in tap water if they had to)! They've been removed today because our new Axie is just a little guy and no match for those bullies.

Ammonia / Nitrates have been an ongoing problem even before the tank changes so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Nitrites have been 0.00 since I started testing properly back in November. Any advice is appreciated..... :D

Last edited:
Having trouble uploading photos - damn iPad!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 187
Have you tested your tap water (or whatever water goes into the tank) to get a baseline reading? How old is your test kit?

Generally, the only way to reduce nitrates is with water changes. Having lots of live plants in your tank will also interrupt your cycle, as plants will selectively use different nutrients.

Thanks Kaysie, I checked my test kit - expires 2017. I'll check the tap water this morning and see what the baseline readings are (should I dechlorinate first ?). I'm pretty sure I've only ever tested it for PH from when we kept Cichlids in there years ago and that was always high.

Only have 1 plant in there which only went in this week and has not started to grow yet (Java Moss). All other plants are plastic and have always been in there.

Btw - looking at my terrible photo, can you tell me what type and approx age our little fella might be ? I reckon he/she is omly around 6cm long ? Also noticed a ring around it's pupils.

He/she has won our hearts already, we've never kept one so small so I hope I'm giving it all the right stuff - ate a small earthworm last night and some frozen blood worm.

Thanks in advance - Jenny :D

Is the sand very course? It's hard to see from the pic so I thought I'd ask. If its a very course sand that can be like gravel in a small digestive / intestinal system.

Age is hard to determine as they grow at different rates - depending on how they're raised (I have 2 who hatched within a week of each other) & I've got a huge size difference 0.0 - have a look at my pics.

<3 >o_o< <3

Hi Nikki - yes the sand is quite coarse compared to play sand, it's aquarium sand (cost a small fortune @ Petbarn). It did't seem to cause probs for our adults when we put it in late last year (both passed due to water quality issues and my stupid ignorance, hopefully I'm better informed now thanks to all the great advice here).

If I change now to play sand, won't that interrupt the water cycle and I'll have to start again?

Thanks

You could just take it out and set it aside until your little one is bigger.

Yes, you should dechlorinate before testing your tap water.

Have you tested your tap water (or whatever water goes into the tank) to get a baseline reading? How old is your test kit?

Generally, the only way to reduce nitrates is with water changes. Having lots of live plants in your tank will also interrupt your cycle, as plants will selectively use different nutrients.

Hi again, I've just tested my tap water during water change time, readings as follows:
PH 7.6
High Range PH 8.2
Ammonia 0.00
Nitrites 0.00
Nitrates 0.00

Tank water again tested at:
PH 7.6
High Range PH 7.4
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrites 0.00
Nitrates around 40 (yes I still need my eyes checked ...lol)

Do I just keep doing daily water changes until it comes down to zero? Is 20% enough or should I change a larger amount.?

Ps - got another Axie today (now have 2 in the tank) waiting for the fireworks as the new guy is twice as big. Praying there are still 2 in the morning.

Hi again, I've just tested my tap water during water change time, readings as follows:
PH 7.6
High Range PH 8.2
Ammonia 0.00
Nitrites 0.00
Nitrates 0.00

Tank water again tested at:
PH 7.6
High Range PH 7.4
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrites 0.00
Nitrates around 40 (yes I still need my eyes checked ...lol)

Do I just keep doing daily water changes until it comes down to zero? Is 20% enough or should I change a larger amount.?

Ps - got another Axie today (now have 2 in the tank) waiting for the fireworks as the new guy is twice as big. Praying there are still 2 in the morning.

0.0 really! Personally I think getting your tank balanced & cycled is more of a priority than adding yet another axolotl to the mix - not to mention the size difference!! To me that is really a dumb thing to do & shows absolutely no common sense or consideration for the health & well being of the other!! :(

Crossing your fingers to hope for the best by no means counts as any form of good animal husbandry nor responsible pet ownership!!! Disappointing & I feel sorry for your axolotl :(

It's times like this I wish axolotls cost at least $200 - at least that would deter the unwanteds & axolotls might be better looked after & not be treated as flusha le disposable pets!!!

Sorry if this seems harsh - but I think what you've done is awful!

<3 >o_o< <3

OK ....... Dumb? - neither helpful nor constructive.

You're entitled to your opinion, but this didn't answer the original.question about water quality and water changes.

You should have lots of plants in there, i personally have some floating and some rooted to the bottom, so the axies feels safe on the surface and floor.

If your have nitrate and amonia problems i would do more than 20% water change as this will take ages to reduce the toxic levels and may in the long run make a large problem

Do you use amonia remover and chlorine remover?

Also you say you have just put another in half the others size, this isnt a wise move and i would suggest a divider or a LOT of hiding places.

0.0 really! Personally I think getting your tank balanced & cycled is more of a priority than adding yet another axolotl to the mix - not to mention the size difference!! To me that is really a dumb thing to do & shows absolutely no common sense or consideration for the health & well being of the other!! :(

Crossing your fingers to hope for the best by no means counts as any form of good animal husbandry nor responsible pet ownership!!! Disappointing & I feel sorry for your axolotl :(

It's times like this I wish axolotls cost at least $200 - at least that would deter the unwanteds & axolotls might be better looked after & not be treated as flusha le disposable pets!!!

Sorry if this seems harsh - but I think what you've done is awful!

<3 >o_o< <3

I think Nikki is just quite concerned as Axolotls are quite often cannibalistic. I've been surprised myself before when individuals of a much more similar size have ended up head first in the bigger one's mouth. If you can separate the guys that would be a really good idea.

Best regards

Give your tank another week or two before adding another axie (if you do be sure to get the same size) during that week (or two) do more frequent water changes your tank sounds cycled and the reading aren't catastrophic. Just do the water changes to bring down the ammonia to 0 and you should be good to go! :D

Give your tank another week or two before adding another axie (if you do be sure to get the same size) during that week (or two) do more frequent water changes your tank sounds cycled and the reading aren't catastrophic. Just do the water changes to bring down the ammonia to 0 and you should be good to go! :D

Sadly the other axie is much larger & already in the unbalanced tank :(

Apparently praying for the well being of your animals is enough than using common sense! :p

As for using the word dumb.... It was the only word I could think of that wouldn't end up in * on reflection I am happy to stand by it - your actions are stupidity & I am tired of people NOT doing the right thing by their animals! I see that the focus went to the word dumb - did you read the rest of my statement....
Probably not! You seem so blasé over the fact that you may wake up to only one - ha ha ha that's hilarious I'm sure your already troubled axie (possibly stressed due to water issues) had an extra large sized tank mate dumped in to his space - adding to the stress he's already under. The water is not healthy & you haven't held it balanced, yet you think adding another now is appropriate... Not waiting & doing it properly!

I just wish axolotls were $200 then people would stick to gold fish or cichlids - not torturing axolotls!

<3 >o_o< <3

Quick update - after moving the little guy to the breeding tank short term, the tank is now divided properly and course sand removed for now.

Water is still not 100% but daily 30% water changes are reducing the toxic Ammonia and Nitrates (both have dropped over the past few days).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back