Sick axol

juwuls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please help my axol has not been eating and keeps flopping on its side all the time he is still quite active we tried giving him an earthworm yesterday and he spat it out after a few mins and looked like he was chocking we tried him later and he did take it eventually but not his usual self:confused:

Can you give us some details? How big is your axie? How big is your tank? How warm is your tank? What kind of substrate do you have? Do you test your water parameters?

Hi, ive just posted a similar post to this, i thought it was an air bubble he had swallowed but was getting worried as it had been 9 days...turns out it WAS an air bubble and overnight the problem was fixed :D

good luck

he is in a large tank with bare bottom the water is usually between 19 and 22 we have a themomter on tank and alway treat water with every water change had him about 2 yrs and nothing has changed not sure what age he is though as we got him from my nephew and he got him from a pet shop a few years before that. He is quite a big boy he just seems to be falling over on to his side looks a bit swollen on his side maybe just looks like that though cause the way he is lying really worried though he doesnt look right at all

i dont think he is gonna last the night to be honest so worried about him:cry:

A photo would be really useful, also can you tell us if anything has changed prior to this. What does his diet consist of?

It may be worth putting him in a shallow water in a smaller container so he can feel more stable. If you do so, make sure he is placed somewhere cool and dark to help reduce any stress. You will need to do daily water changes, if his tank water is good, you can use this as long as the temps stay similar.

thanks everyone for caring will keep you posted will try and put a few pics up tomorrow if he is still here x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back