Paludarium style tank?

Chuck

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am currently constructing a paludarium to house a few fish and 3 pygmy chameleons. I am wondering if this type of setup could work for an axie and a few salamanders? Has anyone any experience with this type of setup? Thanks.:eek:

It won´t.
Fish and caudates are a bad mix generally speaking, plus the conditions required by the pygmy chameleons are completely inadequate for salamanders.
To be honest pygmy chameleons aren´t good choices for paludariums...if one were to fall into the water, it´d be a dead chameleon.

I agree- not even pygmies are suitable. And that's not just because of water depth. Unless you're somehow getting captive bred pygmy chams, you're going to have a hard enough time just keeping them alive, not even counting the issues of adding other factors such as fish that can only increase the amount of problems.

Unless you're highly experienced with pygmies, don't even bother with adding anything to the mix.

I suppose I wasn't clear in my initial post. The new paludarium would only house an axie or two in the water portion and some choice of land dwelling salamander on the land portion....no fish or pygmies in this tank. I guess the more direct question would be can axies dwell in the same tank as other caudates?

Nope, they will bite and try to eat anything that touches the water. If one of the other salamanders so much as rests its tail in the water, there will be trouble.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back