Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Should I buy this Axolotl?

KOsika

Reaction score
My room mate and I will be buying an axolotl in a few weeks and, well, to make a long story short, I'm wondering if the one we're looking at is worth buying.

The pet store (fairly reputable, not your average chain pet store) we are looking to buy from has 2 axies left in stock. One is around 6-7in long and has all his limbs and gills. The second is no bigger than 4in long and is missing one of his front legs and most of his gills. The leg is about half grown back and doesn't seem to be regenerating too badly, and there are little gill fuzzies growing back around the base of his head.

I immediately grew attached to the smaller one, despite his deformaties. But I'm not sure how much work it will go into caring for him.

I know plants are very different from animals, but I have saved a number of dying plants (particularly african violets) with the help of online communities like this. While I'm a first time axie owner, I'm not new to caring for amphibians and other pets, so I'm confident I can care for the sick axie. But my question is, even with some help from this very knowledgable community, do you think buying the injured one would be biting off more than I can chew? What work would go into caring for an axie missing gills and a leg?

We won't be bringing home an axolotl for another two weeks, so the axolotls in question may not even be at the pet store, or he may have recovered more if he is still there. But if the smaller one will be a lot of trouble, I might not have time to take proper care of him.

Any feedback would be great, along with any other tips for axolotl care. Thank you in advance :)

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If you are talking about the 2 axolotls at a pet store at Centerville Pa. I am familiar with them. The big one is in great shape and a good buy. The little one is o.k. and seems to be on the road to recovery. If you are talking about another pet store never mind.

CJ1981

Reaction score
I think I would want to know a bit more about why they were missing in the first place before I took it on. If they are missing because the larger Axolotl got a bit 'snappy' or because of a now rectified ammonia issue or something (which is the most likely scenario) then I would not be too worried as removing the Axolotl from that environment essentially resolves the issue. If the gills are missing due to a parasite or something I would be more cautious.

Axolotls regeneration abilities are pretty awesome and they essentially take care of them selves provided you feed them well and keep the water nice and clean. You'd need to keep an eye out for fungus but provided you monitored your water parameters closely and were willing to fridge if necessary (see the sticky on same) then you should be ok. I would advise you cycle your tank before you bring him/her home rather than cycle with the Axolotl insitu just to avoid any extra stress etc whilst s/he is healing.

I hope you enjoy your new baby :grin:

EmbryH

Reaction score
I know there are people on here who would take on any axolotl, no matter how sickly. I also know that some people would recommend you only go for healthy animals. I think that ultimately it's a personal choice.

If you do choose to take on the smaller of these two axies, as long as it doesn't catch a fungus and doesn't have a parasite it should recover with relatively little effort, provided you keep the water condition good and feed it often.

When I got my axolotl Godric, he had been injured by a tank mate and had lost two feet and a big chunk of tail. I was definitely pretty freaked out when his feet fell off during the regeneration process, but aside from that I kept his water clean and him well-fed. He took care of the rest, and now I've got a wonderfully healthy axolotl and I would never even think of doing things any differently if I could.

Taking care of Godric while he was recovering took about the same amount of effort as it does now, while he's healthy. I checked on him a little more obsessively, and fed him every day rather than every other day, but this really wasn't much trouble. Keep in mind, though, that Godric had already come from healthy conditions before I had him. His previous owner had taken meticulous care of her axies and neither had ever had any fungus, poor water conditions, or exposure to parasites. My recovery story could be very different had this not been the case and Godric had caught a fungus while he was regenerating. The axies in the petshop might not have this advantage.

So I'll say that if you feel like you can handle the recovery of this little axolotl, go for it. But do so with caution and with a very watchful eye, making as sure as possible that it won't get a fungus or other ailment. If you can make sure that all the little guy needs to worry about is regrowing and healing himself, you'll have yourself a very wonderful little axolotl in a few months :)

KOsika

Reaction score
If you are talking about the 2 axolotls at a pet store at Centerville Pa. I am familiar with them. The big one is in great shape and a good buy. The little one is o.k. and seems to be on the road to recovery. If you are talking about another pet store never mind.

Possibly that one. That Fish Place/That Pet Place? The bigger healthy one was gone when we went today, but the smaller one hadn't changed much. :(

I think I would want to know a bit more about why they were missing in the first place before I took it on. If they are missing because the larger Axolotl got a bit 'snappy' or because of a now rectified ammonia issue or something (which is the most likely scenario) then I would not be too worried as removing the Axolotl from that environment essentially resolves the issue. If the gills are missing due to a parasite or something I would be more cautious.

Axolotls regeneration abilities are pretty awesome and they essentially take care of them selves provided you feed them well and keep the water nice and clean. You'd need to keep an eye out for fungus but provided you monitored your water parameters closely and were willing to fridge if necessary (see the sticky on same) then you should be ok. I would advise you cycle your tank before you bring him/her home rather than cycle with the Axolotl insitu just to avoid any extra stress etc whilst s/he is healing.

I hope you enjoy your new baby :grin:

I knew axies could lose their gills from damage by tank mates and shipping, but I had forgotten that parasites could cause it too. Thanks for reminding me of that. I will also remember that bit about putting an axie in the fridge if ours ever gets sick.

I think we will enjoy our axie, we're both really excited to get one :D

I know there are people on here who would take on any axolotl, no matter how sickly. I also know that some people would recommend you only go for healthy animals. I think that ultimately it's a personal choice.

If you do choose to take on the smaller of these two axies, as long as it doesn't catch a fungus and doesn't have a parasite it should recover with relatively little effort, provided you keep the water condition good and feed it often.

When I got my axolotl Godric, he had been injured by a tank mate and had lost two feet and a big chunk of tail. I was definitely pretty freaked out when his feet fell off during the regeneration process, but aside from that I kept his water clean and him well-fed. He took care of the rest, and now I've got a wonderfully healthy axolotl and I would never even think of doing things any differently if I could.

Taking care of Godric while he was recovering took about the same amount of effort as it does now, while he's healthy. I checked on him a little more obsessively, and fed him every day rather than every other day, but this really wasn't much trouble. Keep in mind, though, that Godric had already come from healthy conditions before I had him. His previous owner had taken meticulous care of her axies and neither had ever had any fungus, poor water conditions, or exposure to parasites. My recovery story could be very different had this not been the case and Godric had caught a fungus while he was regenerating. The axies in the petshop might not have this advantage.

So I'll say that if you feel like you can handle the recovery of this little axolotl, go for it. But do so with caution and with a very watchful eye, making as sure as possible that it won't get a fungus or other ailment. If you can make sure that all the little guy needs to worry about is regrowing and healing himself, you'll have yourself a very wonderful little axolotl in a few months :)

I don't think the little guy at the petshop has the advantage of a clean tank, and I'm afraid he would get a fungus. As much as I'd like to take that little axie and give him a good home, I just don't think we'll have the time to care for him properly, especially since I'll check him obsessively the way you described lol. Thanks for sharing your story about Godric, I'm glad he recovered and didn't get a fungus while healing!

And to everyone, thank you for the feedback! I was contacted by someone locally who has axolotls, and we're possibly getting one from him. Thank you again :)

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Possibly that one. That Fish Place/That Pet Place? The bigger healthy one was gone when we went today, but the smaller one hadn't changed much. :(

They still have the little one. It was stressed last summer from the heat. It still looks a little funny. They just put 10 more wild type axolotls out today. The reptile room guys are pretty good with amphibians. They still have not concurred the summer heat problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1