Question: Tips for a new Axolotl owner?

KOsika

Reaction score
Country
United States
My room mate and I will be buying an axolotl soon (we're so excited :D ). I was wondering if anyone could give us tips about caring for one? Any extra tips we might not have seen when studying about them.

So far we have a 15gal fish tank (the biggest we have room for) with a slate bottom, so no rocks for our axie to swallow. We will be buying some aquarium plants and some other decorations for our axie to hide in and the tank will age for 2 weeks before we go pick out an axolotl. We're not entirely sure what to feed him (I know salmon pellets and earth worms are highly suggested, but I'm not sure what the local petstore sells, so I will be asking if the store employees have suggestions. Anything else we might not have known by otherwise researching axolotl care?

Thanks in advance :)

My room mate and I will be buying an axolotl soon (we're so excited :D ). I was wondering if anyone could give us tips about caring for one? Any extra tips we might not have seen when studying about them.

So far we have a 15gal fish tank (the biggest we have room for) with a slate bottom, so no rocks for our axie to swallow. We will be buying some aquarium plants and some other decorations for our axie to hide in and the tank will age for 2 weeks before we go pick out an axolotl. We're not entirely sure what to feed him (I know salmon pellets and earth worms are highly suggested, but I'm not sure what the local petstore sells, so I will be asking if the store employees have suggestions. Anything else we might not have known by otherwise researching axolotl care?

Thanks in advance :)

well aquarium plants in pots help to maintain them in a barebottom, I like java fern quite a bit, easy to care for ;)

And for food you can include frozen foods like mysis shrimp and blood worms to their diet, a varied diet is healthy one :) like for us humans

I found the most helpful place to do my research was at

axolotl.org

the tank will age for 2 weeks before we go pick out an axolotl:)

Hi,
I would recommend that you read up on 'cycling'. This is critically important to your axolotl's health.

Lucky axie that gets such a thoughtful carer :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Here's a few tips I've picked up in axolotl ownership:

**1. Walmart sells nightcrawlers (worms). My axies love them. When they were smaller (Jinx still is) I would cut them up into bitesize pieces. Scissors are great for earthworm chopping. At first I used a knife, but it's gross and messy. Scissors = awesome.

2. Aquarium Gravel Vacuum » Top Fin® Aquarium Gravel Vacuum | PetSmart is the best $10.00 I have ever spent. Seriously worth it. It's useful for water changes, general cleaning, etc.

3. Have a lot of buckets/tupperware designated for your babies. They're useful. Whether it's for water changes, tank supply storage, fridging your axie, they're just good to have around in general.

4. Same as number 3, but with towels.

5. If you feel something is off with your axie, pop them in the fridge. If I think something is remotely wrong with my babies, I toss 'em in the fridge for a while. Here's a good guide for fridging. http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ick-axolotl/85263-axolotl-fridging-guide.html

6. Every now and then, Petco with have $1 per gallon sales. This is the best time to upgrade your tank if you ever want to. You can get some great deals on tanks.

Congrats on your new axie! They really are super-rewarding pets. I love my monsters.

**A note on the food:
Thawed bloodworms are okay, but not really as a staple diet; they're more of a treat. Pellets are pretty good too. I raised my melanoid, Jinx, on HBH Newt and Salamander bites. Petco sells them. However, It's really best that you give them nightcrawler worms of the sort. They're super nutritious for your axie.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I will look into cycling and get some tupperware just for our axolotl.

Hopefully, we'll getting our baby next week, if everything works out :) Very excited!!

Thanks again~

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back