My first baby

LaShanta

Reaction score
Country
United States
I received 5 axolotl eggs. They have started to hatch. How will I know when to feed them. I know that they will not eat for the first day or so because they are living off their yolk, but will I know when they are ready?

And I think you should introduce some live foods in the tank just to have a source when they run out of their yolk.

Some breeders use brine shrimp but they are tedious because they tend to die in fresh water.

However daphnia is a good source of live food and not too hard to culture and maintain :) And they are pretty clean in the sense that unlike brine they don't foul your water here is a guide I used for culturing them. And you can have them free swimming in your tank at your lotls disposal XD

Raising Daphnia

How to raise daphnia

For more foods for small lotls I found this which could be helpful for you:

Caudata Culture Articles - Microfoods

best of luck for your lotls :)

I got Daphnia, but was told that brine shrimp are healthier. I can actually deposit the daphnia into the tank?

Daphnia are fine. They're just as healthy as brine shrimp, and much less hassle if you only have 5 eggs.

I got Daphnia, but was told that brine shrimp are healthier. I can actually deposit the daphnia into the tank?

I do it when breeding bettas, :) they are very clean.

Thanks everyone. They have all hatched and are all over the place.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back