Question: Introducing earthworms

clarob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've had a two axolotls for about 3 months and just discovered this excellent forum. I have learnt from reading here that earthworms should be their staple diet. They currently eat mainly JBL axtolotl pellets, some frozen bloodworms and some frozen brine shrimp. How would you advise us to change them over to earthworms? I think neither is over 6 months old, how much would you feed to start with and should I carry on with the frozen food?

Many thanks

Robert

If you have access to worms of different sizes then why not try them with a small worm to start with. If you can only get big worms then you may need to cut them up. Most axolotls absolutely love earthworms and once they are used to them they slurp them down like spaghetti. A varied diet is always a good I idea but I do have a problem with you feeding them frozen brine shrimp. These could well be frozen in salt water so try and wash them first (not sure if this would be possible) and only feed them very occasionally.

Regards Neil

Have your worm bite size pieces (the worm should be as long as the axolotl's head wide) and wiggle them in front of their nose until they snap at them

If it moves, they'll eat it. Make them a manageable size and they'll go after them on their own.

Thank-you for your helpful answers. I assume I should take it gradually and feed mostly pellets at first?

I also have some daphnia in the freezer, would they be OK to try them with it? I think washing the brine shrimp would be a bit tricky.

If they're large enough for pellets and worms then they're much too big for daphnia and brine shrimp. You don't need to wean them off pellets, earthworms are the best diet for them. You can alternate between them if you choose, or perhaps just save the pellets in case you ever have a shortage of earthworms.

How much and how often should I feed them earthworms? People often mention every other day in posts on this forum.

Many thanks

Robert

If they're close to adult size, half a nightcrawler every other day should be adequate. Less if you're keeping them cold.

A good way to monitor if they're eating enough is to gauge the size of their body. It should be as wide as their head, or a little larger (females will be wider because of eggs).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back