Poorly axi

Stef1991

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Stef
Had my axie now for about 3 weeks, he's only small...about 3inches. But the last week he's has formed a lot of lumps on his body and now I'm really worried :( can anyone help?????

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 238
Can you post better pictures from directly overhead and from the side?

This is one from the side

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 373
He keeps trying to be sick and won't eat, hasn't eaten in 5 days now, has been sick a few times and won't lie flat he always has his belly area raised up.

One from above

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 202
What do you mean by sick? As in vomiting? It looks like he needs to pass something.

He looks a little bigger than 3 inches.

Yeah vomit, he's looks like he is urging.
Not sure if he has eaten something he shouldn't have
Yeah the photo was zoomed in a lot :)
We can't see anything but he's all swollen

He does look very pale too. I have never seen an axolotl looking like this, there looks like their may be some fluid building up internally. I think the only suggestion I can make is keep him cool and monitor his condition.

When he's not urging and stuff then he is really pale, even his gills are pretty much white. Water is never above 18, but woken up this morning and he's got bigger :( not good at all!!

But whats the paleness got to do with it? My axie is pretty much all white when not active as soon as she sees food or has a swim her gills go red again.. I was told this is due to bloodflow :/ and nothing is wrong it doesnt harm an axolotl x

I think as he is gotten bigger, that you would be best to take him to a vet.

Normally I would not be concerned about a pale axolotl, it could indeed be just resting . In this instance the large red shadow that you can see in one of the photo's concerns me and I wonder if there could be internal bleeding.

Yes the redness is a concern does it appear to be like a wound or internal? And have u checked water? X

The redness he has had since we got him and is internal, so I assumed it was just the way he was?
And the water is all perfect been checking it everyday and no problems
The nearest vet to me that deals with him is a 45minute drive, do you think he would be ok to travel this far? X

The internal organs of pale juveniles (albinos, luecistics) are usually pretty visible, but not of that color. Most of the organs appear a dark shade, in my experience anyway. That red shade does not look normal to me. I agree with Julia to an extent, the swelling around the abdomen and (dis)coloration may suggest an internal bleed of some sort but professional advice is always best in such a situation. If he's placed into a container with enough cool, clean water and you're able to keep him stable in the vehicle a 45 minute drive should be fine - I've rehomed axolotls hours away from my area, none of which have been caused stress from traveling.

quick update....turns out he ate something he shouldn't have, but has got it out and making a speedy recovery and eating again!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back