Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fish with axolotl

Jennadenny

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just a quick question, everyone says not to put fish with an axolotl but nearly every video I see has fish in with them what is right fish or no fish??.

esn

Reaction score
No fish. If the videos you are watching are on YouTube, you can trust that as much as a stranger calling you into a back alley. Caudata says no fish unless they are proper feeders that have been properly quarantined. Trust Caudata. There are plenty of threads on the appropriate answers to the fish question.

Jennadenny

Reaction score
Ok thank you, I'm new to this site and still finding out how to find things sorry

Jumbuck

Reaction score
The equation is simple

Axolotl + fish = someone is going to get nibbled or eaten. ;)

FX1C

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357553922.068133.jpg

The only fish that go into my axie tank are 'dinner' fish ;) I breed Endlers Guppies in a separate tank & then sacrifice some small fry - I only keep 6 in the tank max & they vary in size from newborn to juvenile - now my axies are bigger they're finally interested in them as lunch & nothing makes me happier than a guppy head count with 1 or 2 less :)

I'm 100% certain that the guppies do not think axie gills are worms & try to avoid going too close to them.

As for having a tank where you want the fish to stay alive & share a tank then that's not a good idea - I know it seems like a lot of free water in the tank & a fish would look great - but it's not a great idea - stick to axies (they're way better than fish ;) lol )& sacrificial live fish that are just axie snax :)

<3 >o_o< <3

DragonRider

Reaction score
If you want to feed live feeder fish about how many should you feed, how often should you feed them and what size? Thanks! also, is it a good addition to their diet to offer feeder fish?:happy:

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score

tigmades

Reaction score
I don't like the idea of fish due to the dangers it possesses, but I am interested in using fish to stimulate normal axolotl behavior - they must get bored if they get spoon fed every day ;). So I was thinking of keeping guppies or white cloud minnows in a separate tank, then add a couple at a time. I don't mean to use this to replace all food, but have that option there, as well as supplying earthworms. Does that seem reasonable? I just want what's best for my future babies!

I too am interested in what size they can be feed the above mentioned fish safely. I know the general rule is if they can fit them in the mouth, but I've never raised axies before... is that around 6"?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Fish are not normal to axolotls, as they would rarely chase something down as food. They much prefer soft, slow moving food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!